Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #1

Aluminess Nerf bar/step

I had Aluminess drop the step down two inches below their stock setup on the nerf bars I just installed. At first pass when I looked at them in the shop during the install I thought I had made a mistake by lowering them. They look like rock magnets. After driving the van around for a day I've reversed my initial reaction to, I like them they work great as a step. They are down a little to far for those of you who do any serious wheeling but the "Nerf Steps" do make it a lot easier to get in and out of the van. I have 14" of clearance from the ground to the bottom of the nerf bar. Check out the photos I took today when I ran up to Dugan Falls on the Washougal River in Washington.

How much clearance do other people have on their nerf bars?

Passenger side

Drivers side

Dugan Falls at 7200cfs. If you're wondering the cat boat line is against the bank river right.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #2

Re: Aluminess Nerf bar/step

i'M REALLY GLAD YOU ARE POSTING ALL OF THESE COMMENTS. oops cap lock. I have the hoop steps and have knocked the heck out them on rocks especially the side door. They have 14.5" from the ground so a dropped nerf would not be for me. I had them put on because the original nerfs SMB installed in 2004 did not function well as a step (wife, not for me). Great rocker protection but no toe room. I'm very close to doing the Aluminess nerfs so really good info. Thanks, Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Mine are in line with the axle tubes, but I dropped them manually. They are just the regular SMB steps not the Aluminess bars. They're pretty thin aluminum steps and steel brackets, so I think they're pretty likely to be folded, bent or dented by anything harder than a bunny.

Still I'd rather have the step be convenient for the 99% of the time it's not being pushed to the limit. So far only once have I not taken the line I wanted due to the dropped steps, and honestly any rock come along that big and gnarly- time to turn around.

Those look great by the way.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
How much clearance do other people have on their nerf bars?
Apparently I didn't have quite enough. On the bright side, a little bit of damage has done wonders for my 4x4 cred.

Steve in L.A.