Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #11

Re: Aluminess Rear Bumper Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Nice bumper! I didn't want to deal with thru-axel wheels so I went with the 1UpUSA rack. A nice feature is that it has a burly aluminum tray that can handle the overhang over the spare tire. The tray is 55" long and it mounts flat with a universal type bracket. So, it can slide in either direction to minimize how much bar or wheel sticks out on either side.
I've never seen a rack like that. It looks like a sweet setup. I'll have to check them. How did you get that third 10L MWC on the rack? The first two were easy but when I tried to get the third one loaded it was like putting a square peg into a round hole.

Tim at Aluminess said the weight of having 3 20L fuel cans, a bike and water cans on top of the fuel would over stress the swing arm. The stress of all that weight could lead to a failure down the road.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #12

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I used a rachet strap to move mine before bolting on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
I hate to tell you this, but the issue with the holes probably wasn't due to your van being a 92, but the frame rails drooping outwards.

Once you remove the stock rear bumper, the rails tilt outward and the holes don't line up. (this is worse with the xl storage box which requires a crossmember be cut out)

What you do is install two of the bolts, and I cut a piece of 7/16 threaded rod long enough to fit across the frame rails, and then put nuts on it and large thick washers, and I tightened the nuts until the frame rails are parallel to each other again, and voila, the top holes line up. Torque the bumper bolts and then remove the threaded cross rod.

I think it is too much of a coincedence (I too only had 2 holes line up until I corrected the issue) to be anything else.

I have pictures somewhere if you are interested.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Quote:
Nice bumper! I didn't want to deal with thru-axel wheels so I went with the 1UpUSA rack. A nice feature is that it has a burly aluminum tray that can handle the overhang over the spare tire. The tray is 55" long and it mounts flat with a universal type bracket. So, it can slide in either direction to minimize how much bar or wheel sticks out on either side.
I've never seen a rack like that. It looks like a sweet setup. I'll have to check them. How did you get that third 10L MWC on the rack? The first two were easy but when I tried to get the third one loaded it was like putting a square peg into a round hole.

Tim at Aluminess said the weight of having 3 20L fuel cans, a bike and water cans on top of the fuel would over stress the swing arm. The stress of all that weight could lead to a failure down the road.
I had to wiggle the 3rd MWC in from the side. I'm also thinking of modifying one and installing an igloo type spout to pour from.

The 1UpUSA racks are heavier than the Thule or Yak stand-up options. I don't have the numbers but by "looks" the Thule Sidearm might be lighter than the Yakima Highroller. With any of these racks I like the fact that the stress heave, pitch, and roll is absorbed by the tires rather than the fork dropouts.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
The seat is below the roofline but the handlebars stick out a little to far to the side for my tastes.
With the front wheel off, couldn't you rotate the handlebars 180 degrees to get them behind the top? The bike would move a couple inches to the right, but the bars would not be exposed.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
The seat is below the roofline but the handlebars stick out a little to far to the side for my tastes.
With the front wheel off, couldn't you rotate the handlebars 180 degrees to get them behind the top? The bike would move a couple inches to the right, but the bars would not be exposed.

Mike
Thought the same thing. Only restruction might be any cables attached to the handlebars and if they have enough slack.

Herb
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
I hate to tell you this, but the issue with the holes probably wasn't due to your van being a 92, but the frame rails drooping outwards.

Once you remove the stock rear bumper, the rails tilt outward and the holes don't line up. (this is worse with the xl storage box which requires a crossmember be cut out)

What you do is install two of the bolts, and I cut a piece of 7/16 threaded rod long enough to fit across the frame rails, and then put nuts on it and large thick washers, and I tightened the nuts until the frame rails are parallel to each other again, and voila, the top holes line up. Torque the bumper bolts and then remove the threaded cross rod.

I think it is too much of a coincedence (I too only had 2 holes line up until I corrected the issue) to be anything else.

I have pictures somewhere if you are interested.
The frame rails on my van don't have top and bottom bolt holes. The holes are side by side. The inside holes lined up perfectly. There wasn't a hole in the bumper that was even close to matching up with the outside hole in the frame rail. The outside hole that we drilled in the bumper was on the outside of the bumper compartment in the area where the backup lights are mounted. I had a similar problem with the Craigslist bumper I bought to replace the original stock bumper.

I took some pictures of the frame rails. When I get back to my computer Saturday night I'll add one to this thread so you can see what I'm talking about. I'll be busy for the next couple days running some excellent IV+ V- whitewater.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #17

Nice. Tis the season for whitewater. I've got a Grand Canyon trip the first week of May.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #18

Perfect weather!!! Have a great time!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Nice. Tis the season for whitewater. I've got a Grand Canyon trip the first week of May.
I've never been able to get the time off for a grand trip. It seems like I turn down invites every year though. One of these days I'll be able to do the grand. Have a great trip and bring back some good pictures for those of us on the forum who van their way to white water adventure.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
I've never been able to get the time off for a grand trip. It seems like I turn down invites every year though. One of these days I'll be able to do the grand. Have a great trip and bring back some good pictures for those of us on the forum who van their way to white water adventure.
Unfortunately this one is for work but I do get to zip around in an aluminum-hulled New Zealand Osprey with a 50HP Honda. Next October I'll have a rowing trip.

I'd love to boat some of the rivers in your neck of the woods. About the closest out of the Colorado River Basin would be the Salmon.