Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #81

Some older holidays pictures when we drove from BC to California with my family in the ambo. We took the coast, couldn't resist to introduce the kids to Avenue of Giants. Was too busy driving and enjoying the view to take hardly any pictures!

The kids sure seem to enjoy their new living area. I never had time to upholsterer the cushions so old sheets will do the trick for now. I did buy good foams though, 3lbs ones and firm. Love it!

New fridge cabinet in the making.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #82

Wait. You're taking pics while driving 110 mph?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #83

Canadian van, km/h

Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #84

Hi guys.

A lot has happened recently. Finally got Agile to convert my ambo to 4x4 (more pics and details to follow) and what an amazing ride! No complaints on the paved road (just as expected) but hit the dirt and it becomes alive! Had to take her out on a date in the country as soon as I got home

I long considered installing Solar panels on the roof (and it may still happen) but I like to park in the shade so instead I bought some portable panels and made a 25' extension so they can shine in the sun while I rest in the shade. It's also easier to adjust them to better face the sun and maximize their efficiency. Now i needed a place to store them and they ain't small! (two 80w panels). Found a sweet spot for them on my spare electrical door. Easy in or out, out of the way and secured.

Took the aluminum skin out to secure mounting points. I put a wide L bracket (padded) at the bottom and two airline hooks at the top and bottom, simple and strong.

Then put it back together, done! (I'll post a picture of it deployed next time I use it)

So my dear wife who's not a fan of camping has been a good sport lately and came on our road trip to Southern California with our two boys. She actually enjoyed the ambo but wanted a toilet. I had to kiss goodbye my faithful shovel and replaced it with a stinky pottie (or so do my kids call it). It usually rides secured at the back but overnight it fits nicely at the front.

She had two more requests to ease her life. Shower and microwave. Oh dear! Microwave will have to wait as I wasn't looking to install one but the shower was on the list. This one is only temporary as i have an Espar in the process. Since I had this propane one and we need hot water for next weekend i went at it. Might keep it as a backup system later on, who knows... Removed the door skin, re-insulated the door and mounted the heater.

Just below the solar panel on the opposite side I have my 22g water tank and now added a filter, water pump and a few more bits to ease the shower process. This gives a better idea of what's to come once the Espar project is dealt with...

To be continued

Cheers
David

Old 08-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #85

Another member posted his cheaply priced turbo blanket. For $22 I thought I'd try it too. A bit of a pain to install and the fiberglass sure gets itchy! But it went in. Not sure what kind of benefits (if any) I can see but here it is! The quality was pretty good for the price, much better than expected!

Cheers
David

Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #86

Doesn't she look good!
:-D

Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #87
MSD

Garage
Sweet Rig it looks really, really good. Did you modify the back for better departure angle? Like the look of it better than a square box that I normally see. Looking forward to more build thread shots as you go.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Sweet Rig it looks really, really good. Did you modify the back for better departure angle? Like the look of it better than a square box that I normally see. Looking forward to more build thread shots as you go.
Thanks!! Luckily for us here in western Canada we get mostly those curve box over the square one which I'm not a big fan of especially when they are the big wide one. This ambo is only 4" or so wider than a regular van. And yes I did chop the rear, you can see it better in this picture.

Cheers
David

Old 08-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #89

It looks awesome. I never really liked ambos until yours.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #90

We got to see David and his family here in San Francisco on this drive back to BC. Awesome rig and awesome family!

The Ambo is very slick. Tempting configuration with the smaller box!