Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #101

And my 1st real gadget, level gauge

Fits nicely on the drink holder thingy. And don't think I ever posted pics before but that's my new radio with backup camera (with override to keep camera on while driving). And my ham radio on top (VA7PIG).

Turns out my ambo was a hit with my buddies! Way too much drinking! They later took taxis while I slept comfy in the back till next morning [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Looking good!

My only comment would be protect those air hoses as they go through the body/cabinets. They'll chafe through sooner or later..
Agreed. I know I have a large split loom somewhere but haven't found it yet... But I will, just a matter of time

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #103

I finally had some days off and used them to finish a few older projects.

I got my inside stove all hooked up by a local RV shop. That way it's certified and I'll be able to register the ambo as a RV. I got them to add a shut-off valve for the stove and an extra port so that I can run the shower or an exterior stove as well.

Looking back I wish I had thought about simply using my Partner Steel stove semi-permanent indoor with a way to quickly move it outside as needed. But too late. I'll make a mount or storage specific for the Partner stove as I usually cook outdoor unless it's really miserable.

But at least it's working great now!

You can see the shut-off valve and the splitter here:

I also used more leftover flooring bamboo to build a storage for small items. Proves very handy! I'll make another one for the sink side.

Some might think it wasn't worth the time but I was never happy how my upper cabinets turned out. So I started building new ones. I'm also incorporating some small led interior lights. I won't bother with doors as I never had any on my 1st cabinets and they worked great.

These are the lights I'm using, easy! I mounted them on the angled back wall.

Can't tell from the pics but I've left a little lip at the bottom of the front panel. That way i can install (and hide) a led strip for ambiance light.

Almost forgot. I got my rear cushions re-upholstered with Sunbrella material. I changed the foam to vinyl ones, heavier but comfy!

Once I get going with stain and varnish I think it will start to look pretty good!

Cheers
David

Old 11-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #104
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
I finally had some days off and used them to finish a few older projects.

I got my inside stove all hooked up by a local RV shop. That way it's certified and I'll be able to register the ambo as a RV. I got them to add a shut-off valve for the stove and an extra port so that I can run the shower or an exterior stove as well.

Looking back I wish I had thought about simply using my Partner Steel stove semi-permanent indoor with a way to quickly move it outside as needed. But too late. I'll make a mount or storage specific for the Partner stove as I usually cook outdoor unless it's really miserable.

But at least it's working great now!

You can see the shut-off valve and the splitter here:

I also used more leftover flooring bamboo to build a storage for small items. Proves very handy! I'll make another one for the sink side.

Some might think it wasn't worth the time but I was never happy how my upper cabinets turned out. So I started building new ones. I'm also incorporating some small led interior lights. I won't bother with doors as I never had any on my 1st cabinets and they worked great.

These are the lights I'm using, easy! I mounted them on the angled back wall.

Can't tell from the pics but I've left a little lip at the bottom of the front panel. That way i can install (and hide) a led strip for ambiance light.

Almost forgot. I got my rear cushions re-upholstered with Sunbrella material. I changed the foam to vinyl ones, heavier but comfy!

Once I get going with stain and varnish I think it will start to look pretty good!

Cheers
David

Looks Awesome!!! Your build has had me looking on CL Vancouver BC for an ambulance. Very inspiring
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #105

Thanks!

One like mine just sold couple weeks ago for $2500 cad! (That's what, $2100 us?) They are a great base for expo vehicle, love mine!

Old 11-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #106

Looks nice!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
Being from Canada we don't get to regularly meet SMB owners like some of you guys are lucky enough to do. So it was really great to meet a few of you on our way back and have such a warm welcoming as we drove by.
I plan on driving from Wa to Alaska between Xmas and New Years, and it would be fun to share a beer along the way. The dates are not firm yet, but would you be interested in a few days of camping somewhere along the way? Last year about this time I met up with a few guys, and we did a hot springs tour around Harrison Lake and another trip to the North end of Vancouver Island. The V/I trip was epic, but we all survived. Any interest in putting something together?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #108

For sure! I just replied on your other post...

And thanks 86scotty
Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #109

Not quite finished but too exited to wait, hahaha!

I needed a solution for my side lights. Mine were painted over when they decommissioned my ambo so either I bought new lenses and dealt with the average existing lights or came up with a better solution.

I had my idea from the get go but instead of building my own aluminum recessed box I decided to start baking Can't take credit for the idea, just made it work for my needs. .. And I needed 2"depth max to fit between the ambo studs.

This is what i started with, beats building my own!

Only problem is I needed 9"x7" boxes to fit both the lights and the ambo design. I could have kept the baking tray as is (9"x9") but it would have looked funny. So, cut 2" off and re-welded it.

Drilled a few holes for mounting the light, running the wire and to screw it against the body then off to powder coating.

As for lights, I found these nice thin 5" LED's from my favorite light store.

All together and ready to replace my 15 yrs old useless side scene lights

Just need to cut the old lights opening on my ambo a bit larger, apply a new seal, secure in place... and a bit more time!
Old 12-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #110
MSD

Garage
Looking good! Can't wait to see the install.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote