Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Is your van Plan A, Plan B or none of the above?
Plan A, it is the way out of dodge! 8 36.36%
Plan B, might me useful in an emergency, but hadn't considered. 8 36.36%
Not part of the plan, just have/built the van for casual pleasure. 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #1

An interesting thought occurred to me...

I know this question can get off topic really fast so let's try to stay in a reasonable discussion.

How many of you are buying, building, modifying, customizing your Vans for when SHTF?
Or at least keeping them as a solid backup plan or bug out van?

The reason I ask is most of our vans are set up to be off the grid, that is awesome for any situation especially important if the grid goes down in a natural emergency or a man induced chaos. Obviously it makes good sense for camping and trips too!

Chime in with your thoughts and if you do have any honest intentions of using your van as plan A or B.

I'm not sure why this just popped into my head and I'm not sure why I'm asking but let's hear!

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:08 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: An interesting thought occurred to me...

Everyone at least thinks about it.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

I thought of this quite a bit as we have done updates to the van.

Man Made Crisis: Realized that in a man made crisis that trying to get out of town at the same time as everyone else will be difficult if not impossible if you drive. Watch any disaster movie or better yet historical films of the different wars and you will see why. If you could get out of town, where would you go that was not contaminated or under siege? You might be able to take enough food and water for a week or two in the mountains or desert but what then? Again, look to the war in the Middle East to see what refugees go through because refugees will be what we will be. If I was worried about this I would move to a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Natural Disaster: To me, this is where the SMB shines, except tsunami. If your house is damaged you can have a place to live either next to your house or in a shelter parking lot. It gives you some privacy and a place to charge up your phone and stay in contact with friends and relatives. Food and water is less of an issue because that usually shows up within three to four days after the event. Just keep your fuel and propane tanks full, food and water for several days stored away, and get a good nights sleep.

For Tsunam, it all depends how much warning there is. It could be more like the man made disaster than the natural disaster.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

I keep the van pretty well stocked for winter travel, in case of highway closures, landslides, or just plain getting lost. I'm not really concerned about civil discourse in the PNW, but I'm well aware of the potential for natural events. I do try to keep the fuel tank full in case I do need to leave town. Not that I expect to need to leave, usually I need to get somewhere else to help friends or family with repairs or just shoveling snow.

I keep the trailer better stocked for long term disasters. I try to keep the water full most of the year, propane alway full, and keep the shelves mostly stocked, with an emergency stock of freeze-dried food. I also houses the generator, which it large enough a power the home fridge and some lights. Even during minor interruptions like power outages, the trailer is a very nice backup option.

Tsunamis are a good talking point. Plan A is don't camp in the Tsunami zone. If I am in the zone, I take mental notes of the nearest high-ground. Getting there by foot is best, unless there's very early warning (like one originating in Alaska). When the Cascadia Subduction fault pops, I'll be quickly walking past all the cars stuck in traffic.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

If the shit hits the fan you're not going anywhere. Roads will be closed. Shelter in place. Stay home.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

I live in North Vancouver BC.
They have been telling us for years that a BIG mega quake is due.
Nobody is ready for anything here, (vancouver people are not self the sufficient types)
They rae constantly reminding people here to get ready for it..
I dont live in an area that can be flooded thankfully, by either tsunami or river/dam breach
I keep my van with
onboard emerg food at all times.
Water and a full gas tank and propane ..
Tools of all sorts, including swedish bow saw,axe etc.
A set of warm clothes for everyone in my family
Dog food for pooch
sleeping bags etc etc.
Big First aid kit.
When we go camping all we have to pack is our "toys" and personal items.
I figure as long my van is ok , we are set up.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Uh, hellooooo? Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle here!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #8

It seems to me that a car or van is going to be useless in any serious emergency requiring evacuation if you live in an urban area of any size. You will be one of hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions trying to do exactly the same thing Half of them will be heavily armed, thrilled that they finally get to realize their childhood fantasy of an apocalypse and mostly insane. No-one will be going anywhere. Unless you want to use the van as the terrestrial equivalent of a Viking funeral ship, you need one of these:

http://www.gizmag.com/xti-aircraft-crow ... 600/39099/

though I guess a small helicopter would do and might cost less.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #9

We built our van with emphasis on long-term/fulltime use... which is an added benefit in a Zombie Apocalypse. We also have a lot of flexibility in our interior, along with redundant systems. We keep it about ready to go all the time... freeze dried food, 28 gallons of water at hand, blah X 3.

I'm not sure where we are all gonna "go", though, and LEO will shut down travel in a SHTF. Fortunately, where I live, you can find a hide out spot pretty quickly with just a pair of wire cutters. yadda X 3

I just don't have a plan for when the Campa-Chem runs out
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone

I just don't have a plan for when the Campa-Chem runs out
Aw Marc, that's easy!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... AgBB8P8HAQ

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote