Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Anchoring sofa and belts?

A couple questions about seating for anyone who has done it....

Spring is approaching and I'm anxious to get my van ready for some camping. I've been amassing some parts over the winter but the weather has been too brutally cold for me to install much of it.

The main thing I need to look to is ordering and installing a sofa. My idea is an RB50-lite style floor plan. My main concern is if/when I get a sofa in hand, how does one securely fasten it into the van? Is it simply drilling holes in the floor? Do I need to hit cross members for reinforcement? Use big washers on the underside? The same questions apply for the belts.

I want to be able to carry 2 passengers in lap belts and know everything is ultra-secure. If anyone can comment or point me to some example installs, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Re: Anchoring sofa and belts?

I know Ford manufactures their vans with specific seat belt attachment points. You should look at their authorized conversion manufacturer's manual for the exact locations. I'm certain there are engineered standards for the hardware to use too. It's all about liability and the litmus test is going to be whether or not you meet Federal Standards.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
I know Ford manufactures their vans with specific seat belt attachment points. You should look at their autorized conversion manufacturer's manual for the exact locations. I'm certain there are engineered standards for the hardware to use too. It's all about liability and the litmus test is going to be whether or not you meet Federal Standards.
I have a Chevy cargo van but thanks for the suggestion. Fasteners typically need to be Grade 8 (maybe Grade 5). I'm not sure if the cargo vans get those attachment points or not, that is what I was hoping someone could comment on.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

The Ford cargo vans that I've had all had the seat attachment points under the body. There weren't any holes thru the floor, but all I had to do was go under the van and drill up through the welded "washer" that was there. Pretty easy job.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

Yes, you can anchor to the floor directly, you just need to have larger enough backers to prevent pull-through.

FMVSS requires 5,000 pounds/anchor for lapbelts, or 3,000 pounds/anchor for shoulder belts.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #6

You might consider anchoring a piece of 13/16 in. Unistrut across the top of the floor to get you over the gas tank. Bolt the lap belts directly to the Unistrut with 1/2 in. bolts. The unistrut is structural steel framework with all kinds of attachments and is often used by electricians. Home Depot sells it in the elec dept. It's great for building a bed frame without any welding.

Here's a great source for RV beds: Home Style Industries in Boise, ID: <http://www.home-style.com/flash_content/index.html> They custom make them. My SMB style 50 clamshell bed with back matress cost about $600. I had them use the best foam. Hundreds of fabrics but they don't have much aof a web presence, unfortunately. Quality work. Also RV Van Curtains custom made and cheap.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

(I meant jacknife not clamshell for the bed type).
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller
You might consider anchoring a piece of 13/16 in. Unistrut across the top of the floor to get you over the gas tank. Bolt the lap belts directly to the Unistrut with 1/2 in. bolts. The unistrut is structural steel framework with all kinds of attachments and is often used by electricians. Home Depot sells it in the elec dept. It's great for building a bed frame without any welding.

Here's a great source for RV beds: Home Style Industries in Boise, ID: <http://www.home-style.com/flash_content/index.html> They custom make them. My SMB style 50 clamshell bed with back matress cost about $600. I had them use the best foam. Hundreds of fabrics but they don't have much aof a web presence, unfortunately. Quality work. Also RV Van Curtains custom made and cheap.
Any pics of your setup? That price isn't too far from other sources and if their quality is better, they may be a winner. I have another thread elsewhere where someone mentioned that there are kits for building a VW-style "rock and roll bed" but most are from the UK and expensive. A complete kit would run well over $1000.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #9

I'll post some pics in about a week. I'm out of town for the next 7 days... The seat frames and cushions are excellent.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #10

Zuren, I have a set of "rock-n-roll" hinges I bought new and have never gotten around to using. PM if you are interested in them. I have a 15 passenger van and the attachment points are just a large steel washer with nut weld to the underside of the floor between the reinforcements.