Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

another ac idea

ok, i'm down here in the humid Southeast and am starting to work on my new to me 02 E350. I've been lurking for awhile and i know there are many ideas out there for air conditioning, for those of us who have to have it. I could get by without it most of the time, but not always. I want a removable setup, i've seen the rear window and door mounts and don't really want to go that route. Also, i carry a Honda 2000 that i could run if no shore power where i need it. I'm wanting to do a removable setup i can stow in the van because of the occasional use, and though it is rather unsightly, i'm thinking of a front window setup.
Has anyone ever done this? I'd love to see pics or gather ideas, but i'm thinking of a flat mount/hanger sitting on the sill of the driver or passenger window, with a wood or plexi cutout around it. This would be used with the window all the way down, sitting on the sill, and the fill in piece would fill in the top and sides of the window, so no weight is resting on the window, it would be rolled all the way down. I'm thinking pipe insulation around this filler piece would allow you to push it snugly into place, and i believe you could mount this in either window, depending on the camp site. In other words, probably usually used on the passenger window, but if you wanted the noise and drips on the other side, you could move it to the driver's side. Also, i think this and all window mounts in vans look equally horrible generally speaking, so you could hide it on whichever side was facing away from traffic, etc. I don't care a lot how home-rigged stuff looks, but she does!!!!
Thoughts?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #2

Re: another ac idea

I swear someone had that idea, or implemented it- however the closest I can find is this:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1123&hilit=window+air+conditi oning+front

I don't see the need to hang the AC unit on the window. If you made a nice short stand you could run in on the ground next to the van and have a cold air chute into the front window. Lock the tube into the power window with a sheet of something, and make it symmetric so it can be used with the tube on either side (e.g. passenger or driver window).

Of course you're going to get cooling loss with the tube, but if your window unit is oversized anyway... hmmm, I wonder if control will be an issue without the thermostat being in the van window...
Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Try this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4903&hilit=+heat

Herb
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Thx Broncohauler. That one towards the bottom with the blue surround is exactly what I'm trying to do. In fact, other that the giant suction cups, I've got how to do the whole setup in my head! Perfect! Thx for the link. Now I've got to figure out the largest btu air conditioner that my Honda 2000 will run And still have a good fit! I read here somewhere that there's a Sunpentown 7500. That only pulls 6 amps or so.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

another ac idea

You are right to not do a permanent installation. My 89 E150 came with an AC unit stuck in one of the rear door windows. Looked terrible and when it rained, like it usually does in Oregon, it leaked. Pulled it out and it is sitting waiting for garage sale.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.590303,-123.264615
- Larrie
89 Ford RB
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Seems to me if you are going to use a generator for power, there are a lot of options for a portable air conditioner:

http://www.google.com/search?q=portable ... 20&bih=861
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #7

Here is another one using the drivers window. Also a 5000 BTU unit. It will drop the inside temp about 10F and significantly reduces humidity.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5340

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote