Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #11

Re: Another FNG - 2001 GMC Savana

Call the Sportsmobile locations and see if they will sell you the tank they use for their OEM conversions. I thought they used to have it on the http://www.sportsmobilestore.com/ website, but don't see it there anymore. Maybe liability issues...

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

Welcome! Nice time lapse! It'll be fun to watch through out the build.

You can use the Westy tanks, Go Westy has a 5.9 gal tank. http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_detai...ory_parent_id= and other sizes too.

I used a 5.5 gal tank cuz it was on sale here: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/l...opane-tank.htm I chose the one for a van.

I did have to use the SMB door they sell so there was access to the valves. You have to cut the body to install the door. I used the plastic one, but I think it only fits the Ford. They also have this metal one: http://www.sportsmobilestore.com/pro...nt-door-metal/

As far as instructions, good luck finding them. I had to wing it. I first got the tank and had to find a place it would fit, take a bunch of measurements, drill holes in the floor, cut a hole in the body, and install the door. It was only then that I knew for sure it would fit. It did. Phew!
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Nobody is a "FNG" on this forum (well, unless you earn that term through ignorant or rude postings). Just a new guy with a new van
It can also be a term of friendly greeting too. Since Sandeld used it in a self-deprecating fashion its okay to join in, albeit just for a short time.

Maybe NGNV then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeld
Well, this is conflicting. Nearly all the home builds I've seen on YouTube have some kind of floor treatment.
Yes---and many here who've done the DIY thing also add layer upon layer of stuff under their new plywood flooring. What's not known or shared is how all this fairs several years later, the "rest of the story" so to speak.

From personal experience with 4 Ford E-Series vans where the stock padded mats have been in place for long periods of time they have ALL rusted floors, some quite dramatically so. Had those vehicles not been sold as is or scrapped extensive floor and under structure repairs would have been absolutely necessary.

Moisture absorption and retention of moisture in material in direct with the stock metal floor is a huge rust incubator. Because it begins inside and under the floor treatment its never noticed, the "out of sight, out of mind......" thing giving us false confidence all is well.

Before you invest the time and money in the multi-layer approach do as I suggested; temporarily fit plywood flooring and drive a few days, paying close attention to the different noise levels.

Either way you go I know we'll all enjoy watching your progress.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #14

It looks like every propane tank available for vans has already been listed (all three!)......

The westy ones are the smallest diameter and kind of long and skinny.

The manchester tanks are 11" dia IIRC, and are either 24" (5 gal) or 36" or so long (7 gallon). I took an 11" dinner plate and crawled under the van for a rough fit check.

If you don't mind cutting an access hole in the side of your van than there are more choices......the van ones are nice if you want the fittings down low near the bottom of the tank for under body access.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #15

^^^And if you do cut an access hole, the sportsmobilestore has access panels you can retrofit. Not sure if they will fit Dodge vans, though, as I think they are for Fords.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #16

There happens to be an older horizontal tank from removed from an RV on Craigslist So Cal for $50.

The ad does not have any photos, but the seller sent me a couple.

I have no idea if this is up to current specs (it looks old), and the fitting is on the end of the tank, etc.......but it's cheap!

Here is the ad:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4705125465.html

...and here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
propane tank.jpg   propane tank 2.jpg  
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #17

^ Thanks for lookin out! I'm kind of a skeptic when it comes to buying used if I can't see it in person. Especially if it looks kinda rough like that one. I'm going to look into the bigger Gowesty tanks, but I think whatever I end up with, it's going to hang below the frame, which A) sucks and B) alleviates the need for cutting the body. Or maybe I'm just a noob and my buddy that's helping me out will show me the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA

Yes---and many here who've done the DIY thing also add layer upon layer of stuff under their new plywood flooring. What's not known or shared is how all this fairs several years later, the "rest of the story" so to speak.

From personal experience with 4 Ford E-Series vans where the stock padded mats have been in place for long periods of time they have ALL rusted floors, some quite dramatically so. Had those vehicles not been sold as is or scrapped extensive floor and under structure repairs would have been absolutely necessary.

Moisture absorption and retention of moisture in material in direct with the stock metal floor is a huge rust incubator. Because it begins inside and under the floor treatment its never noticed, the "out of sight, out of mind......" thing giving us false confidence all is well.

Before you invest the time and money in the multi-layer approach do as I suggested; temporarily fit plywood flooring and drive a few days, paying close attention to the different noise levels.
I hear ya. Makes sense. But I won't have layer upon layer. Sound dampener > plywood > covering

And the sound dampener, will hopefully, if I'm patient enough to to do it perfectly, will be stuck directly to the floor. So the condensation won't get to the metal and will only between the metallic backing and the plywood, just as it would be if I didn't have the sound dampener at all.

I appreciate all the tips. Keep 'em comin'!
sandeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #18

Nice work on the time-lapse, and good looking van so far.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #19

Update:

The shop took a look at all the codes and did some pretty in-depth diagnostics. The engine is shot.

I either get a new one for $2500 plus labor, or I cut my loss and buy something new. I'm leaning towards the latter. Especially these two, at least for this hour:

http://www.carsntrucksonlineco.com/2004 ... tails.aspx

http://www.carsntrucksonlineco.com/2003 ... tails.aspx

I know the Ford 7.3 diesel can go forever. My buddy has one with 440,000 miles. But anyone know about that Sprinter diesel? Are they just as reliable?
sandeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeld

I know the Ford 7.3 diesel can go forever. My buddy has one with 440,000 miles. But anyone know about that Sprinter diesel? Are they just as reliable?
Yes, I know enough about them. I work for a company that has a million in our fleet. Reliable? NO!!!! The older ones like this are better than the newer V6's, but I've heard their lifespan is about 300k. You're almost there on that one if it hasn't had an engine/tranny. I'm sure some will disagree, but almost all Sprinter utiility models have been ridden hard and put up wet in the fleet/delivery world. This one looks fairly clean but I bet it's been beat on.

Sorry to hear about your bad news after the work you've done. Have you considered a warrantied salvage yard engine?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote