Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

Any Failures on 1UP-USA Bike Racks?

I have the 1UP-Usa bike rack above the box on my Aluminess rear bumper setup. I see our two bikes wobbling quite a bit in the rear-view camera as we go down the road. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a catastrophic failure of the rack arms from the to-and-fro motion? Seems there would be some possibility for fatigue failure.
We have two Surly Long Haul Trucker bikes which weigh in the vicinity of 30-35 lbs each.
The arms are securely and firmly holding the tires.
Any thoughts, experience or input?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1330.jpg  

Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #2

Mine wobbles too and it used to bother me but I think I am finally over it. Mine are off the trailer hitch so not sure if being high up increases the wobble potential or not. The freaking ratchet teeth were shot after about 2 months and they called it a wear item and would not warranty. Still just moving the little handle up and down when moving the arm to compensate for it. They didn't seem to care it was only 2 months old at the time. 2016 and still using it. Best rack going but I can imaging it's a bugger to operate that high up.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #3

I've just had a bolt break and had to adjust the tension of others because of creaking. They can handle some abuse
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #4

Garage
If it is wobbling in the receiver, hitch stabilizers work great. I always use them now. If the problem is the rack arms moving, obviously this won’t help.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Tigh...%2C167&sr=8-32
Old 05-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #5

The tray on the 1up are extruded aluminum. Super strong and bomber. Not anything at all like a Yakima or Thule which can't handle that span over the spare tire.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #6

Best Rack I Have Ever Owned

1up makes great racks. I had a different rack (starts with "K" ) before upgrading to a 1up rack. It kept snapping bolts everytime I would go on fire roads.

The 1up rack is built like a tank it will take some abuse. Not very heavy to put on hitch. From Colorado to Flordia and Colorado to Havsau this rack holds our bikes, and we never worry. They aren't comming off.

1up racks in my book are worth the $$$.
Dokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:46 PM   #7

Best bike racks ever IMO. I have many thousands of miles of use on mine and a lot of that is 4 wheeling and on washboard roads. Has held up great!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:23 AM   #8

One more vote for 1up, granted ours is mounted on the hitch.

Eddyturn - bummer to hear about your warranty experience. I've been lifting the lever while moving the arms since day 1, but I just thought I was being overly paranoid.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
The freaking ratchet teeth were shot after about 2 months and they called it a wear item and would not warranty.
My rack is an earlier vintage that has no ratcheting teeth. Just a smooth bar that the lever "digs" into (although it has left no marks). It has never loosened on the trail.

Bummer they didn't stand behind it though ...

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #10

My only gripe is the stainless bolts in the aluminum tray that secures the mounting arms. I previously installed a fat tire kit and then used it for two years that way. When I went back to install the regular width spacers it looked like the threads were coming out. So I just tightened it back up and left the fat kit installed. I called them and they said they powder coat the trays after the treads are cut and that the bolts get tight because they don't chase the threads and they said they don't use anti-seize on assembly. So when I installed my fat bike kit I removed whatever podercoat was in the threads preventing galvanic corrosion and then reinstalled them they're now fully corroded in there. They denied this is could be an issue at all.