Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #1

Anyone durabak paint their van?

My van is white... Thinking of some different bedliner applications.

Thanks all

happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:44 PM   #2

I don't know anything about Durabak, but I painted our van with Monstaliner.

Cleaning and prep work are critical, as with any paint, but with the bed liner type stuff you don't have to worry about perfectly smooth sanding. Just make sure you get a good scuff on 100% of the surface you're painting.

Application differs by brand. Monstaliner recommends rolling on with textured rollers, Bully liner is tricky to spray, I think Raptor liner sprays the best.

YMMV, do some research on the websites for each product and the forums. Good luck!
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the input!!
happycampingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #4

Garage
You didn't mention your intended use of the bed liner. While I have no knowledge of Durabak, I have used Raptor Liner to good effect on my pop-top. If you plan on applying the bed liner to large areas that will be exposed visually (like rocker panels) I'd suggest spraying versus rolling for a uniform look. Of course you'll need a larger compressor in order to power the spray nozzle.

Have you checked out Line-X in Boise? I originally visited them about spraying my pop-top, but decided to DIY when they resisted dealing with the existing hardware.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampingcouple View Post
My van is white... Thinking of some different bedliner applications.

Thanks all
Remember its very heavy. if you cover your entire van it will add alot of weight. I did the Lower Rocker area and am very happy with it.. But i would still stick to paint for anything else.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ture40584.html
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
Remember its very heavy. if you cover your entire van it will add alot of weight. I did the Lower Rocker area and am very happy with it.. But i would still stick to paint for anything else.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ture40584.html
I think Raptor liner is something like 10 lbs per gallon, and supposedly one gallon is enough to do a full size truck bed, so I you'd add less than 100lbs to a vehicle. YMMV.

Herb
Old 01-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #7

For now I only did my front former chrome front bumper (machine sanded down to bare metal), but will add the lower side areas shortly.
Raptor liner offers a pack with a spray gun and using my 2 gallon harbor freight compressor with ~45psi output to the spray nozzle worked really well. Didn't had any issue as you're either way doing shorter cycles and the "overlap areas" come out clean due to the structure.

We hit a 4" tree stump once (while kiddo was steering :-D) and beside a slight scratch nothing happened.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I think Raptor liner is something like 10 lbs per gallon, and supposedly one gallon is enough to do a full size truck bed, so I you'd add less than 100lbs to a vehicle. YMMV.

Herb
Agreed, mostly, the supposed significant weight people think truck bed liner adds is a total myth.

I've used Raptor Liner on many projects/vehicles though never a full body job. Each kit weighs 8.8 lbs and that includes the bottles and packaging, so say 6 lbs. per kit. I can easily do an entire SMB top with one kit with some leftover. So, without getting too technical, you might add 30-40 lbs. shooting an entire vehicle.

Let's think about this though, if you repainted the vehicle, simply adding a coat of base and then clear (paint) without much sanding, you'd probably add half that or more in regular paint.

FAQ question here states 45-65 lbs. total but this is a very general answer using 'truck' as the vehicle, and my use case above proves different......IMHO.

https://rhinoprous.com/faq/
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #9

Paint with Raptor bed liner get the tint if you want it to be a color otherwise it’s black. You can reduce it 20% if u don’t want it to be rough. Come with gun really easy to apply just follow directions.
canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:00 PM   #10

I did my van with Monstaliner. As mentioned, prep is very important. Degrease with MEK and lightly sand the existing paint. If you roll it, get a lot of rollers. The paint solvents are so strong that they rollers do not last.
The whole weight argument doesn’t make sense. I used 2.5 gallons and a lot of the solvent eventually evaporated as it dried out.
Quite pleased with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
47A27574-30DC-4C8F-91C5-127FF0C9EAE0.jpg