Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Anyone in CA think their 7.3 is quiet inside?

Recently went on a long road trip for the first time in my 7.3. I'm not completely done with insulating but I thought it was pretty damn loud. This is my first diesel and lifted 4x4 so this may be what is expected.

I'm in northern CA. and would love to drive in someone else's diesel 4x4 to see what their interior noise is like. Especially someone who thinks they have quieted theirs down so I can see the potential.

Thanks!

Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #2

You've already started insulating but did you check out this thread? http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...use-19991.html
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #3

I've driven 2 and both were pretty quiet at freeway speeds. It was most noticable during in town driving.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #4

Garage
Surfvan, I've been driving around in mine for the last year and neither the wife or I find it loud at all... Not sure if it's because we're now in our 50's or are comparing it to my 24 valve Cummins? If you get to Idaho this summer, let me know and I'll let you take mine out for a spin. FYI it's a 2001 7.3 built by Sportsmobile.
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #5

I haven't driven mine that much yet ('92 7.3 IDI non-turbo), but it didn't seem very loud. But my comparison references are my Triumph sports car (Spitfire and GT6) which are not quiet, a classic Mini (stupid-loud at hwy speeds) and a 95 Dodge 2500 with a 12V Cummins (that could wake the dead).

At some point, I may add a basic turbo system to the engine, but those usually reduce noise rather than add to it.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

What year is your van? I noticed a quite a big difference between my '03 and my brothers '98. Neither of us had done anything to try and quite it down.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #7

I have a 2010 E350 6.0 diesel and used 'Roadkill' and 'Dynamat' (different products) in the doghouse, inside the front door panels, on the front floors, and on the floor behind the from seats. I also use rubber horse stall matting for the floors throughout the van (no carpet). This combo works pretty well. I roll with Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. They are not the loudest tires on the road, but they do hum a bit. Highways at 'normal' speeds are not a problem.
parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

Here is another link to a sound deadening project:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ect-10280.html
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

My '98 is stupid loud. Makes road trips exhausting. If you're ever in So Cal, you're free to take it for a spin.
kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #10

I have a 03, agile off road conversion. When I first got it empty as a cargo van with zero insulation just a tin box it was crazy loud. Anything over 30mph you had to yell to have a conversation. I have since built it out and insulated the crap out of it.

Here is what I did
First I blew foam into every crevice and opening I could.
I then covered the whole van with rattle stop, this includes the dog housing,floor under driver, passenger, back floor, walls, ceiling etc.
I put in wood floor with the coin rubber garage flooring and got a ceiling from a cargo van. Did the walls with fiberglass insulation then wood covered with boat decking for easy cleaning.

At this point the van is quieter then my father-in-laws new dodge diesel. Its still not as quite as my wife's luxury sedan but its pretty damn good.
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote