Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #1

Anyone removed a wheelchair lift?

Greetings,

Been reading the archives, as I look for an extended Ford van for a modest 2WD project. Though not 100% decided on wanting a high top, most of the used vans that have them are shuttles or wheelchair vans. If I see a decent looking and well-priced wheelchair van, do I dare consider buying it... due to issues of lift removal and disposal/sale?

I saw a post somewhere, where a guy had talked about welding up a bunch of holes. And, electricals? What else? How much work is involved? And, would there be any market for a used, bare lift?

Thanks

edzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

Re: Anyone removed a wheelchair lift?

I can't answer your question but I would definitely post this in the Expedition Portal van build section and probably the Ford Truck Enthusiasts van forum as well. I know lots of people have done it for home builds, but I've never seen anyone detail how. Good luck.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #3

I removed one from a 99 smb. It wasn't that bad It bolted to the wall beside the side doors and the wiring went under to house battery. I just got new trim from junk yard. The only holes in the floor was a plate that held wheel chair. I think it was a Braun lift not sure on that but I sold it for $1000.00. The van I removed it from had the floor lowered about 3-4 inches which was nice after the lift was gone. It was from a private owner not a shuttle company so it wasn't beat up and wore out.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

It is my understanding that the floor is and can be lowered on a wheel chair van, because the van body is lifted. I personally would like to lift my van body for more room for the batteries at the frame rail and more room under the hood. This also involves an extension of the steering column. Having all that done previously with the wheel chair lift install would be a plus, in my opinion.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #5

Garage

If you want to see some info and pictures of the drop floor conversion process, check out my "New guy's wheelchair van" Thread at http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9032. It has a description and pictures. There are also more pictures in my gallery. For a 6" drop floor, they install a 2" body lift and then lay the floor on the frame rails.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

Ah-ha! Very nice photos of the drop floor. You 3 on this thread are the first mentions I've seen of a drop floor. For a guy not 100% sold on a high top, that looks mighty appealing.

I'll have to look more closely at photos of vans with lifts. Or, I guess, at vans with lifts but no high top, particularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
If you want to see some info and pictures of the drop floor conversion process, check out my "New guy's wheelchair van" Thread at http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9032. It has a description and pictures. There are also more pictures in my gallery. For a 6" drop floor, they install a 2" body lift and then lay the floor on the frame rails.
Cheers
Darryl
Old 04-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #7

depark: The first photo entitled "Starting" in your post convinces me. Look at how much the floor is raised over the transmission! For you guys who have not tried to remove the glow plugs and injectors (or even the valve cover) on the passenger side on a 7.3L van, you probably can't conceive of how a mere two inches of additional height could help. Also, for my daydreams of installing a ZF6 in place of the 4R100 (recently sparked again by mgmetalworks), this would likely help alot because the ZF6 apparently has a much higher hump than the 4R100.

depark: I looked through your gallery but couldn't find a shot or description of the steering shaft extension. Any chance you could provide more info/photos on that aspect of your conversion?

As said before, been nearly everywhere in So. B.C. but Kelowna and Kamloops. Will buy you a beer when my wife and I eventually get there!

Thank you for posting and referring to your gallery.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

Where and how did you sell the lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
The only holes in the floor was a plate that held wheel chair. I think it was a Braun lift not sure on that but I sold it for $1000.00.
I just did a quick tour of Autotrader. It looks like drop floors are a rarity on big vans. But, while searching, I did happen upon a Quigley E250 RB 4X4 with wheelchair lift and hand controls... thought I'd post a link, since there are so many 4x4 van lovers, here. 22K in Tampa:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32587979&Log=0
Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #9

I just gotta believe you could find one less a hassle. Even if you gotta drive 2 days.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #10

I sold the lift by word of mouth. I had a friend in a wheel chair and he help spread the word. I didn't take long used lifts are in high demand due to price of a new one.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote