Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #1

Question anyone using Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 - 12 Volt Inverter/Charger?

Hi all

Is anyone using the Xantrex 817-2080 Freedom XC 2000, 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave 12 Volt Inverter/Charger?

How is it, generally? Likes? Dislikes?

I know that under heavy loads that the fans can turn on...

but under normal (light) loads (fridge running, solar panels in the sun) are the fans on?

and does it have any hum (acoustically) under light or heavy loads?

and are the fans 1 speed (on / off) or do they have different levels?

do the fans ramp up and down, or just switch on?

I don't like fan noise, or acoustic hum.... thus the questions.

FWIIW - It would be going into a new Hallmark Pop up truck camper. (lots of very smart people here - with similar needs, thus the question)

thanks.

J.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #2

anyone using Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 - 12 Volt Inverter/Charger?

I don’t have that same inverter (I have an older Xantrex/Trace 1500) so can’t totally help you. But I will say that fan activation in most inverters is controlled by how hot the unit gets (thermostatically controlled), not necessarily the load. Although heavy loads tend to make them run hotter so the fan turns on. How and where you mount the inverter can help mitigate heat gain and therefore have the fan run less. If inside an enclosure, make sure there is enough venting to allow air to flow through. Make sure there is enough open space in the enclosure, too, to keep it from overheating. Or mount it in the open for maximum cooling.

BTW, your frig shouldn’t really be running through your inverter unless you have a straight 110vac unit. If you have a 12v/110 frig then presumably you’d only have that running on AC only when plugged in to shore power.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #3

Thanks Brian - all great ideas.

and it is my understanding that it is a inverter / charger, combination unit, so I think that power is always flowing thru it.... recharging the batteries from solar, if the batteries are being used to power the fridge, for example.

Not exactly sure.... good question.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I don’t have that same inverter (I have an older Xantrex/Trace 1500) so can’t totally help you. But I will say that fan activation in most inverters is controlled by how hot the unit gets (thermostatically controlled), not necessarily the load. Although heavy loads tend to make them run hotter so the fan turns on. How and where you mount the inverter can help mitigate heat gain and therefore have the fan run less. If inside an enclosure, make sure there is enough venting to allow air to flow through. Make sure there is enough open space in the enclosure, too, to keep it from overheating. Or mount it in the open for maximum cooling.

BTW, your frig shouldn’t really be running through your inverter unless you have a straight 110vac unit. If you have a 12v/110 frig then presumably you’d only have that running on AC only when plugged in to shore power.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Haven’t had a chance to put mine through it’s paces yet, so I can’t comment on usage, but it’s the unit that was installed for our remodel. I think it’s the unit that CCV installs and it’s the one that Matt (AVC) uses for his builds so that says something.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Haven’t had a chance to put mine through it’s paces yet, so I can’t comment on usage, but it’s the unit that was installed for our remodel. I think it’s the unit that CCV installs and it’s the one that Matt (AVC) uses for his builds so that says something.
thanks! that info sure does say something.... cool.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #6

The Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 inverter is a high frequency inverter. That in itself does not say if it is good or bad, but there are differences you should be aware before making your choice. In the following thread post #34 has list of the differences. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post219845

The charger section of the unit appears to be relatively good, highly programmable. It unfortunately does not support battery temperature feedback, but does have a low and high temp compensation. Better then no compensation options.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
anyone using Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 - 12 Volt Inverter/Charger?

....^^right, I added a Victron battery monitor on top of things, although didn’t do the temp thing.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

While it is good that you got the battery monitor, the Xantrex Freedom XC does not interface with that monitor. The temperature option of the battery monitor will just display the temp of the battery. There are some Inverter/chargers or chargers that have a temperature compensation accessory. They will compensate the programmed voltages for Absorption and Float to match the temperature of the battery to try and compensate for the table below.

table from Lifeline manual AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery Made In USA - Lifeline Batteries

The Xantrex Fredom XC has 3 temperature settings, Cold, Warm & Hot. The manual does not say what is default, I expect warm, and cold and hot would increase or decrease the voltage by 0.4 Volts.

Typically with our vans, I would recommend a charger that is fully temperature compensated

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #9

I've got its sister, the Freedom Xi 2000w pure sine. Yes, it has noticable fan noise, especially when charging from shore power. Fan noise does vary, but I've never really paid attention to it as we use ours only to run heavy draw appliances for short periods of time and those make noise too. When charging laptops I don't recall fan noise. Hope this helps.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #10

Be advised, xantrex has been having trouble with their quality, particularly the mother boards. I had this inverter for years with no problems then went to install another in a different rig that only ran for about a minute. Unfortunately, I let it sit on my shelf for too long and the warrenty ran out b4 I even installed it. I ended up eating that one. I also know of two others that had the same issue purchased last year, they caught it in time and were covered. Suffice to say xantrex is no longer high on my recommend list.
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote