Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #1

Auxiliary Fuel Line for Webasto - 5.4 L Gas

Hi all-

I've scoured the interwebs looking for a definitive answer to this question but so far, no luck. I'm hoping someone in this forum has done this before.

I have a 1998 Club Wagon that I've converted into a camper. Being into winter sports, I decided to install a webasto gas heater. Install went great except the fuel line part. I can't figure out the best way to feed fuel to the heater. The instructions say I can tap into the fuel return line but all of the hoses are steel braided with the ford quick disconnects. Is there a way to build a tap into these lines? Or do I need to install another standpipe into the tank. I'd prefer not to drop the tank if I don't have to. Anybody tackle this before?

tetrylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #2

That’s a good question. Could you tie into the system on one side of the fuel filter? Maybe with some combination of these fittings, a tee and some hose?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...edition?pos=82
Old 01-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #3

So, what did you wind up doing?

Or, does anyone have any other thoughts?
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:04 AM   #4

Might be easier to just swap the fuel pump for one with the aux fuel port option?

The return line has a check valve so this would only supply fuel while the engine is running.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #5

I was looking through the following thread earlier this week. The pics must show the fuel pump carringb is talking about. Didn’t know such a pump existed. Pretty convenient. I might put one of those in when I have the fuel tank down again just to have it ready in case I switch to a Gasoline-based heater.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...2/post-2128170
Old 02-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrylone View Post
Hi all-

I'd prefer not to drop the tank if I don't have to. Anybody tackle this before?
You're most likely going to have to drop the tank anyway. It's a bitch, face it or hire it done. I've done many and there are few chores I hate more.

I'm pretty sure many people have popped a hole in their fuel pump plate to drop in the pick up tube for this. There is room. I either did it once or researched the heck out of it and never got around to it. I tend to sell unfinished projects often.

MGMetalworks (Micheal/Expovans) has done it and can tell you exactly.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
You're most likely going to have to drop the tank anyway. It's a bitch, face it or hire it done. I've done many and there are few chores I hate more.
If anyone goes forward with this and drops the tank do yourself a huge favor and have new tank straps ready for the reinstallation. More than likely the existing ones will break regardless where you live.

They seem to be available anywhere from $16 each up to $56 (dealer)---depending on your budget would dictate your choice there.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #8

So....I just watched a video of someone dropping a tank. Didn't look fun. Another video showed a guy who just cut a hole in his floor. Anyone ever try that?

If I'm going to all the trouble, should I preemptively replace the fuel pump? How often do they fail?

Regarding paying to have it done, I checked a couple of online repair estimators for a fuel pump replacement. I'm not sure how accurate they are, but one gave an estimate of $400-800 and another was $900-1400.
$400 sounds a lot better than $1400.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #9

Bump....

...just to see if anyone has any thoughts on my questions....thanks.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #10

$400-$500 is about what I'd expect, including the pump. Don't go cheap here. The $200 pumps last more than twice as long as the $100 ones. Due to the age of the van, you might want to consider replacing the filler hose and vent hose at the same time.

As for a hole in the floor... This is an option on shuttle buses. But I wouldn't do it with the tank in place. You're likely to cut or burn up the fuel lines. And that won't address the old hoses.

Definitely run it as low as you can before dropping it. A transmission jack works pretty well if you want to DIY.

Might want to run your VIN and see if the tank-strip-isolaters are eligible for recall replacement. If it is, Ford will pay for the labor to drop the tank, and you can sweet talk the dealer into doing the pump and hoses for at the same time.

Tags
econoline, ford, fuel, gasoline, webasto