Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Daves View Post
Great info in this thread.

I’d like a gas webasto the only kicker is my van has a built in generator under the van. Do you thing I can just put a T fitting off the generators fuel line?!?

I’m not looking to drop the fuel tank so if that’s the case the fully contained diesel model might be the way to go.
It seems like I have read that these heaters do not like to be T'd off other fuel lines. I think they lose prime if not directly in to a tank and these heaters are trouble when they lose prime. Slow to get fuel again and restart.

If you're looking at the type you showed in your post it has a dedicated tank you wouldn't need to fill but about once a week, and that's if you used it all night every night.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
It seems like I have read that these heaters do not like to be T'd off other fuel lines. I think they lose prime if not directly in to a tank and these heaters are trouble when they lose prime. Slow to get fuel again and restart.

If you're looking at the type you showed in your post it has a dedicated tank you wouldn't need to fill but about once a week, and that's if you used it all night every night.
I’m looking at the Webasto Air Top 2000 or the self contained diesel unit. My issue is the generator is using the auxiliary fuel port. I have read in some cases the heaters don’t like to be T’d off. As of now I’m brainstorming a T fitting setup off the generator with check valves and a correct size reducer to eliminate bubbles.
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #33

The only way you could splice into a single line and run two fuel pumps off of that one line is if you install oneway check valves on the suction side of each pump. Otherwise you would be pulling fuel out of whichever unit isnt currently running. In otherwords if the generator is shut off and youre running the heater, its going to suck fuel from the path of least resistance emptying the float bowl on the carburator and lifting the needle valve off its seat until it starts sucking air instead of fuel.

I doubt you would have good results trying to run both items off the same line using one fuel pump. #1 i doubt the generator and heater both run at the same amount of fuel pressure. #2 If you try running both the heater and generator at the same time the fuel pump may have issues providing enough fuel for both.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
In all my searching, I haven't been able to find any good photos of the optional Ford auxiliary fuel port. Since I was installing my Webasto today, I thought it might be helpful to share my experience.

Here is the aux fuel port plug (yellow clip). This pic is taken from the driver's side of the fuel tank, and the hose clamp in the lower left is the filler hose.

To remove the plug, you need to slide the yellow clip outwards so that the black rectangular buttons on either side are fully exposed. Once exposed, you have to figure out how to simultaneously depress them and lift/wiggle the plug off.

After fighting with this for an embarrassingly long time, I discovered I had the perfect tools in my arsenal: a long-nosed spark plug plier was key, plus a screwdriver to lightly pry upwards while depressing the sides of the plug:

This is what you're left with:

All that's left is to create your new fuel line and clip it on. I used the following parts (in order, right to left):

- Ford aux port adapter (PN 9C2Z-9B210-A)
- 5/16" fuel hose
- brass hose barb adapters
- Webasto coupler hose
- Webasto fuel line

I chose not to re-use the yellow "safety" clip since this connection is not under pressure. It was a nightmare to squeeze the buttons with the clip in place, and I was worried I might have the need to remove this for service in the future.

The new fuel line clips on easily, and presto! Webasto fuel line installed without having to lower or drop the fuel tank.

Fuel pump installed:

hi Kibo, which brass hose barb adapters did you use?
MemePorkieAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemePorkieAdventures View Post
hi Kibo, which brass hose barb adapters did you use?
Honestly, I have a bin of brass hose barb adapters and I just fished through them until I found the right sizes. However, the fuel hose is 5/16" and the Webasto coupler hose is 5mm, which is approximately 3/16" (4.76mm). So, any combination of adapters to go from 5/16" to 3/16" ought to work if you use the Webasto clamps. In my case, the two fittings were 1/8" NPT male and female, so they're threaded together with sealing paste (not tape). Or you could do it in one shot with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Quickun-Reduc.../dp/B08H5G12JH
Old 02-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #36

Good write up with very helpful pictures!

No USA vendors for the gas Webasto? Are there other gas heater options?

Where did you install the heater on the inside of the van?
Forrestvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrestvt View Post

No USA vendors for the gas Webasto? Are there other gas heater options?
If you are talking only about the Webasto style, then Webasto and Espar (Eberspacher) are your only options for petrol. There are many more companies making the diesel ones now but only those two for petrol.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #38

I always see wildly varying prices on eBay for these. Does anyone have experience with the Russian versions...or words of warning? They're generally a lot cheaper.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrestvt View Post
Where did you install the heater on the inside of the van?
Mine is installed in the rearmost driver's side corner of the van, behind the secondary A/C unit.

I posted some additional pics in this thread:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post268192

And here's a useful tweak if you buy the MultiControl HD:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post268693

I use a hose (not shown) to route the heat to the middle of the van. The long-term plan is to build a cabinet enclosure, but the hose has been really handy for directing the heat where we want it so I'm considering installing a "stoker tube" like one of these in the final cabinet/enclosure:

3" Stoker Tube with Rotating Adjustable Louver - AMC Cliffv's Marine Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
I always see wildly varying prices on eBay for these. Does anyone have experience with the Russian versions...or words of warning? They're generally a lot cheaper.
I've had great luck with my Russian version, purchased from here:

https://112-auto.com/Webasto-Air-Top...trol-Gasoline/

Based on the included labeling, documentation, etc. I'm certain that the product I received is genuine and not counterfeit. I think the biggest downside is that you will not have a warranty. I decided it was worth the gamble, and <knock on wood> it's worked out well so far (1yr since install).
Old 02-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #40

Thanks for the reply and links. Good advice and the multi control tweak is sweet!
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
econoline, ford, fuel, gasoline, webasto