Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 09:54 PM   #11

When we bought our van, it came with a receipt for fuel pump replacement at $1400 in San Jose, Ca. I was not interested in dropping the tank and instead mounted a 2.5 gallon diesel tank behind the drivers rear wheel which feeds our 5k knock-off D2 above it. Works like a charm.

barryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #12

i just finished installing a webasto 2000stc into 2013 e350 passenger van as part of my diy conversion. i too watched the youtube videos for replacing the fuel pump. i think you can do it too. i used 1 hydraulic floor jack and 1 hydraulic bottle jack with built in jack stand and a long board to lower the tank. you need a clip tool to disconnect the fuel line clips. its about $8 for a set. i bought a pneumatic drill for the compressor to drill the hole ($30). my tank is abs. the fuel pickup is from webasto and high quality. i did this on the street in front of my house because my driveway is sloped. please pm me and i am happy to talk to you on the phone to answer any questions.
amamdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #13

Thanks guys, for the info and encouragement.

Amandani, what did you do to mitigate the chances of catastrophic explosion?

Did the pickup come with the heater? Or did you buy it separately? I ordered mine from Russia in the fall, and haven't pulled it out of the shed for a while, Not sure if it came with a pickup or not.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #14

there was very little risk of explosion. tank was 90% empty (primarily because it was easier to lower) and pneumatic drill has no electrical spark. but I had my 15 year old holding a fire extinguisher with specific instructions to douse the 19 year old first who was holding the cup to catch the filings in side the tank. (I have already led a good life). but in reality if i was worried, i would not have done it.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #15

I also ordered mine from russia as a kit, and did not know it came with the pickup, which i also ordered separately. used the one from webasto kit because it was very good quality compared to the a la carte fuel pickup.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #16

For the Heater fuel feed tube -
Run to about 1/4 to 1/2 INCH above bottom of tank.

I was told(not verified) that SMB cuts the tube at about 1/4 capacity of the tank left. Maybe someone can confirm what SMB does.

I figure if I am stuck somewhere with a 1/4 tank of unusable heating fuel that is not desirable.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #17

i ran the pick up to almost the bottom. the unit does not burn much fuel, so the risk of draining the tank is low.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #18

Garage
My recent quote from Van Specialties here specified 2 hrs for “drop tank and add fuel pickup”. $240 just for that part of the install.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #19

I ran the VIN, unfortunately no recall on the tank.
Local shop quoted me $900 for a fuel pump replacement. I should call around.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it's foolish not to replace the pump when I have the tank down?
Even if I do it myself (kind of leaning that way) should I throw a new pump in?

If I do it myself, I'm assuming my tank is metal (it's a 2000) but I've been too busy to lay down in the snow and check. I assume that increases my risk of spark interacting with gas...

What if I put some nitrogen in the tank? I don't think having my younger kid (5, barely) hold the extinguisher while my 6 year old catches the filings would be the best course of action.

Speaking of which- does that mean that you pulled the pump first to gain access to the inside of the tank? And did you drill while it was under the van, or pull it all the way out?
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I figure if I am stuck somewhere with a 1/4 tank of unusable heating fuel that is not desirable.
But wouldn't you want enough fuel remaining in the tank to start and drive rather than accidentally nearly run the tank dry? At a 1/4 tank of fuel you can go a decent distance to obtain more fuel if it came to that.

Or carry and extra 5 gallons in a Jerry can?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
econoline, ford, fuel, gasoline, webasto