Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #21

JWA - my thoughts - if I am stuck in a bad situation and cannot get out driving, I want heat to survive. These heaters use .03 gals per hour - yes 3/100ths. So 10 gals left in a tank and I freeze to death vs staying warm for three weeks awaiting rescue - give me heat please. Or if we pull into a campsite with a quarter of tank of fuel then for the sake of .3 gals of usage all night ( 4 miles of driving) I am cold.

And if I accidentally run the tank dry using the heater in a non emergency situation, I think at .03 gals per hour I deserve the inconvenience being inattentive!

Just my two cents,

Old 02-17-2020, 01:08 AM   #22

In all my searching, I haven't been able to find any good photos of the optional Ford auxiliary fuel port. Since I was installing my Webasto today, I thought it might be helpful to share my experience.

Here is the aux fuel port plug (yellow clip). This pic is taken from the driver's side of the fuel tank, and the hose clamp in the lower left is the filler hose.

To remove the plug, you need to slide the yellow clip outwards so that the black rectangular buttons on either side are fully exposed. Once exposed, you have to figure out how to simultaneously depress them and lift/wiggle the plug off.

After fighting with this for an embarrassingly long time, I discovered I had the perfect tools in my arsenal: a long-nosed spark plug plier was key, plus a screwdriver to lightly pry upwards while depressing the sides of the plug:

This is what you're left with:

All that's left is to create your new fuel line and clip it on. I used the following parts (in order, right to left):

- Ford aux port adapter (PN 9C2Z-9B210-A)
- 5/16" fuel hose
- brass hose barb adapters
- Webasto coupler hose
- Webasto fuel line

I chose not to re-use the yellow "safety" clip since this connection is not under pressure. It was a nightmare to squeeze the buttons with the clip in place, and I was worried I might have the need to remove this for service in the future.

The new fuel line clips on easily, and presto! Webasto fuel line installed without having to lower or drop the fuel tank.

Fuel pump installed:

Old 02-18-2020, 06:05 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
JWA - my thoughts.........

And if I accidentally run the tank dry using the heater in a non emergency situation, I think at .03 gals per hour I deserve the inconvenience being inattentive!

Just my two cents,
I get that and totally agree with your POV Ray. At that minuscule consumption your thoughts are completely reasonable.

Since I don't camp my longest wait time for emergency transport would be 6 hours or less which is usually easily survivable. So assuming the engine still runs I'd have heat from the factory hot coolant system. Since I rarely begin a trip with less than half a tank in most instances I'd be comfortable waiting. Bored but comfortable...........
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
In all my searching, I haven't been able to find any good photos of the optional Ford auxiliary fuel port. Since I was installing my Webasto today, I thought it might be helpful to share my experience.
Thanks for posting this. Very educational.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #25

The driveway finally dried out enough to crawl around and check out the lay of the land.
My van is an unlifted (yet) e150, and I have running boards, so I couldn't even get under there. Drove the passenger rear wheel up on a big 6 inch block of wood, and the front one on a couple-inch piece of fire wood so I could squirm around under there. Even so, I could't figure out how to get my head up to see anything, between the frame rail on the one side, and the driveshaft on the other. I stuck my phone up and took a video. Looks like I don't have the aux fuel port. I'll try to post some pics.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #26

Sorry for the blurry screenshots. First two rae the pump. No aux line. What's the third? Power to the filter?
Attached Thumbnails
B131B46C-CF3A-4163-B787-3041FE7D145D.jpg   DE728C47-CC17-4488-82FD-634685C71876.jpg   1F126620-F64F-4685-B8BF-1C80BDEB6925.jpg  
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #27

Kibo,

Thanks for this, I haven’t been able to find much detail on the aux port either. What van did you do the install on? I’m curious if my tank will have the aux port or not.

Cheers
fatmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmab View Post
Thanks for this, I haven’t been able to find much detail on the aux port either. What van did you do the install on? I’m curious if my tank will have the aux port or not.
Sorry for leaving this out--this was on a 2011 E350 Quigley.

Also, I noticed a typo in my previous post. The pliers are spark plug boot pliers. I guess I was just so excited to finally have the heater installed!
Old 01-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #29

Great info in this thread.

I’d like a gas webasto the only kicker is my van has a built in generator under the van. Do you thing I can just put a T fitting off the generators fuel line?!?

I’m not looking to drop the fuel tank so if that’s the case the fully contained diesel model might be the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
EE92D540-7CF2-4B53-92C2-A5FEFC60DADB.jpg  
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
But wouldn't you want enough fuel remaining in the tank to start and drive rather than accidentally nearly run the tank dry? At a 1/4 tank of fuel you can go a decent distance to obtain more fuel if it came to that.

Or carry and extra 5 gallons in a Jerry can?
My rig has the aux port on the fuel pump to feed the generator. The fuel pumps are designed so that the aux port cant pull anymore fuel from the tank once the fuel level hits 1/4 tank. They are that way brand new right out of the box.

Two summers ago i took my rig to the Ford dealer to have the fuel pump replaced. Before it was over my bill was right at $4000. The Ford OEM pump was like $500 and some change, the fuel pump driver was $150 ish. They had it for two days and then the phone rang, they said there was an issue so i went to the dealership and the kid that was working on it snapped the fuel pump studs out of the tank because he felt it was a good idea to use an impact gun to remove the nuts. Problem is the studs are welded into the tank at the factory.

My rig is a cutaway so the tank sits behind the axle, the new tank cost me $2600 dollars and another three days waiting.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
econoline, ford, fuel, gasoline, webasto