Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #41

I added the big pocket/organizers from the newer door panels to mine. There's a thread around for that.

Also, I gooped my gutters with Vulkem after I treated the very minor rust. This van has some issues underneath but the gutters were in remarkably good shape for an Ohio van, just paint missing mostly.

Last weekend I had a fun day with electronics. There are a few random things on the table here but for the van it includes new head unit, back up camera, Rockford Fosgate speakers, Blue Sea isolator, keyless entry (aftermarket unfortunately ) and an OBDII splitter to have an open port while running my bluetooth on the other. Thanks for the idea there Fitz!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #42

And now for something completely different, This heavy box o' goodies came from MGMetalworks.

I found a donor axle from an 06 F250 with low miles. It's mostly just dirty but I'm considering a full POR15 job before it goes under. The bonus is that it came with a good looking set of drilled and slotted rotors. I'm guessing Powerstop.

This truck had only been on the yard a week when I found it. I got the front drive shaft, NV271, complete axle and all hardware. Score!

Of course Fox shocks from Agile and Moog Springs from Amazon

And the last big item on the 4x conversion list is a Quigley modified tank from C7train. I was going to go with a cutaway aft axle tank or an Aerotank but Colby made me a great deal on this and when I saw how clean it was in the pics I jumped all over it.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #43

Back to the electrical system for awhile. 4 gauge cable run from chassis battery to Blue Sea 7610 and 80 amp breaker on opposite side.

It looks like much smaller gauge wire running out of the breaker towards the coach battery but it's actually just smaller shielded 4 gauge.

For this van I chose to mount the house battery on the left side frame. I recently found a diesel heater with it's own 7l tank. I'm going to mount it under the left rear and I picked up an SMEV stove but I'm not going to mount a big propane tank for just a stove. I'll get creative there. 4d on the frame on the left has an advantage or two since my small power system will be just behind the driver's seat. I have very short runs of wire from the front and from my solar on the left side of the roof.

I coated the battery box in POR15 which will match a significant amount of the underside of the van that I'm about to coat. To say this battery box is bomber is an understatement. I had some 3/16" scrap. It weighs almost as much as the battery!

I went with a lead acid 4d that was on sale at BatteriesNBulbs. The Duracell Ultras are made by East Penn/Deka and pretty impressive for a lead acid. It should be plenty.

When mounted the battery looks a little low but I left enough room to check cables and even attach/remove if necessary. It's no fun to wrestle a 4d under a van so I left a little more room than on previous boxes I've built. It's only an inch or two under the tank and if I had sliders/steps on the van it would be well above them.

An interesting challenge on mounting a battery on the left side is the e-brake cable. I spaced the box out with some grade 8 washers to give it a place to still work properly, rolling over the washers. Pedal feel is unchanged.

Time for a Christmas break. Solar and 4x conversion coming up next!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #44

you might as well work on the 4x4 over Christmas, the kids probably dont wanna see you anyway.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #45

Man, Santa comes early in TN!
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #46

Grade 8 washers! I didn't know there was such a thing...
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #47
MSD

Garage
Really love seeing the progress, looking awesome!!!
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #48
Site Team

So, how much are you going to sell this rig for?

Herb
Old 12-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #49

I'll never sell it. (That's what I've said about every one of the 150 or so cars I've had).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 03:32 PM   #50

Your welding technique is definitely improving. Looking forward to seeing how the rig turns out. SMB or CCV top?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote