Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #11

I like the concept of their folding wall bed. But it’s only 39 wide

https://www.foldingbed.net/Category/...nted-Couch-Bed

regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #12

So for about 4 years now I’ve been in the quest for a gaucho bed. I’m from nj and have been using a $50 futon bed for now. I originally wanted the sportsmobile gaucho bed, and the nearest sportsmobile from me is smb north. After talking with Nancy the sales rep from smb north she could build and install the gaucho for me, only issue is the widest she can make the best was 43” wide by whatever length I wanted. I too am 6’3” and my fiancée is 5’8” and after mocking up a 76”x43” bed it was just too narrow for my liking. So after talking to other people about gaucho beds and the many threads I started, the gaucho bed from smb can be made up to 48” wide. Just perfect for what I wanted. So after recontacting Nancy from smb north with this info she told me it can’t be done at all. So I reached out to smb south at Texas and they said it can in fact be done out to 48” wide and whatever length. After going back to Nancy with this new info her response to me was “whatever custom work other smb want to do is none of their business. They can’t and won’t do the gaucho bed 48” wide for me.” So my only option was to make the trek to Texas to get it done or find something else. I looked on shop4seats.com and found the “princess” gaucho bed which I liked, and you can customize it to several widths and lengths but I didn’t pull the trigger on it. I’m not sure how comfortable it is and I just really like the look and functionality of the smb ones so I think I’m going to stick to my $50 futon bed until I can free up enough time to drive to Texas have them do the install and return home.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp for View Post
Hello. Can you please post a link to the eBay ones or post the key words you are searching? Is it this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charles-72-....c100005.m1851
Sorry, just saw this. And I used the word "gaucho" in my search and the one on eBay I was referring to appears to be gone.
Djp087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21 View Post
So for about 4 years now I’ve been in the quest for a gaucho bed. I’m from nj and have been using a $50 futon bed for now. I originally wanted the sportsmobile gaucho bed, and the nearest sportsmobile from me is smb north. After talking with Nancy the sales rep from smb north she could build and install the gaucho for me, only issue is the widest she can make the best was 43” wide by whatever length I wanted. I too am 6’3” and my fiancée is 5’8” and after mocking up a 76”x43” bed it was just too narrow for my liking. So after talking to other people about gaucho beds and the many threads I started, the gaucho bed from smb can be made up to 48” wide. Just perfect for what I wanted. So after recontacting Nancy from smb north with this info she told me it can’t be done at all. So I reached out to smb south at Texas and they said it can in fact be done out to 48” wide and whatever length. After going back to Nancy with this new info her response to me was “whatever custom work other smb want to do is none of their business. They can’t and won’t do the gaucho bed 48” wide for me.” So my only option was to make the trek to Texas to get it done or find something else. I looked on shop4seats.com and found the “princess” gaucho bed which I liked, and you can customize it to several widths and lengths but I didn’t pull the trigger on it. I’m not sure how comfortable it is and I just really like the look and functionality of the smb ones so I think I’m going to stick to my $50 futon bed until I can free up enough time to drive to Texas have them do the install and return home.
That's interesting. I live in NV so the SMB west isn't too far from me. I may give them a call and see what they have to say. For now though, I think I'm going to end up going with the RB Components 76" model for ease of use and install. I'm going to do metal flurring behind my panels so it should hold in nicely and fold up in the event I'd like it out of the way.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp087 View Post
That's interesting. I live in NV so the SMB west isn't too far from me. I may give them a call and see what they have to say. For now though, I think I'm going to end up going with the RB Components 76" model for ease of use and install. I'm going to do metal flurring behind my panels so it should hold in nicely and fold up in the event I'd like it out of the way.
By “rb components” are you referring to the flip up wall mount bed one from eBay? If so I’ve been thinking about that for a few years also. Only issue is it’s not that wide. 43” so it wouldn’t work for me. But if there was a way to make it slightly wider it would be perfect for me. I often thought about trying to take some 4” metal tubing and welding it to the bed frame and then bolting it to the wall and that extra 4” I can slide a piece of memory foam or something to add 4” without changing the flipping mechanism for it. I’m just mounting it off the wall a little further adding some space and I think it should work fine. Just an idea I had if I was to go that route.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #16

Wondering if the ebay link is a wall hugger. Me thinks not.
The link I posted states 43" wide but I think there an open cavity next to the hinge point at the wall attachment , meaning the bed would be 39" wide.

A "gaucho" is one that has a slide out base. Nothing flips, folds, or hinges. Sometimes referred to as a slat bed. IKEA is famous for them.
A jack knife is similar to the typical rock n roll style similar to oe West style.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #17

Check out Rbcomponents.com and you'll see the one I am referring to. Very similar to the eBay one I have seen.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #18

Components > Folding Furniture > Sofa beds. same same.
Can't call that a gaucho.
Someone with a few skills could perhaps use their hinge kit to build whatever length / width is needed.
I got off track as to whether the OP is looking for a side wall couch/bed or an RB50 / Westy style.
Anywho, wishing continued success to the OP.
Gotta go. Going camping.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
Wondering if the ebay link is a wall hugger. Me thinks not.
The link I posted states 43" wide but I think there an open cavity next to the hinge point at the wall attachment , meaning the bed would be 39" wide.

A "gaucho" is one that has a slide out base. Nothing flips, folds, or hinges. Sometimes referred to as a slat bed. IKEA is famous for them.
A jack knife is similar to the typical rock n roll style similar to oe West style.
I am calling it “gaucho bed” bc Sportsmobile offers it as a “gaucho bed” for $2,000 that has the base stationary and the back cushion flips up/over and around and then lays flat when in the bed position. On the spread sheet that’s what it’s called it’s to be mounted along the drivers side or passengers side wall. And that’s what I originally liked. I do see other companies selling futon type beds and jackknife sofas and such but the one I’m interested from sportsmobile is called the gaucho bed.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #20

Wow! Nice setup! I too am trying to work out something better than current Gaucho. Biggest problem is that both water tank, and batteries are underneath! I also need a much lighter base piece and was thinking of an aluminum camp cot type, but
with no legs...., then using a folding memory foam mattress that’s easier to get out of the way. Have you seen them? They may solve your “ where to put it” problem.
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote