Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #21

You should not have any problems selling the molds if you choose to go that way
As you realize fiberglass work is messy and trying to start up a company with the EPA regulations the way they are makes it difficult and expensive
I build a fiberglass motorcycle trailer in a boat building area and it was still tough to get all the proper permits

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #22

550 man hrs x 100/hr shop rate = 50k alone, plus material, plus residuals.
You need investors so I can have one for my RB Ford. ^j^
I'd even entertain a Trim to Fit scenario
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #23

Ron (Bettyford) will definitely be interested in one I bet Good news! He's right over in Jackson, at least some of the time.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #24

Amazing work! I've patched a couple corners up on my old SMB top - I can't imagine starting from scratch like this. Can't wait to hear about the rest of the build!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #25

That is extremely nice if you owned a Ford you could be put some people out of business.
deshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #26

Reviving a dead thread. But have a little insight that may help the next reader.

I’ve gone through all of the research and design/plug building for a custom Jeep Cherokee Camper Top. At the Wax/PVA stage and had a similar fight.

Turns out: The Orca shimmer wax is incompatible with PVA. It is a silicone variety of wax, and as such causes a bad reaction and the PVA to bead up. Partall #2 wax should be used with Partall #10 PVA. Any silicone in the polishing can cause issues. That would explain your beading/fisheye problem.
Jakegrovephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #27

I wondered at the time if something like that was going on? I am currently building another and used a different wax. It didn't bead up and fisheye like before, but I still couldn't get the PVA to lie down flat and smooth. Wound up with a tiny "eggshell" texture on the finished part that I am unhappy with. There is some sort of sorcery required that I don't possess. Did the " mist coat" waited until it tacked up and followed with the "flow coat". The hardest part is getting it laid on until "just before it runs"! Now that I have done two, I know how much gelcoat is required for each part and I am going to skip the PVA next time.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimat View Post
I wondered at the time if something like that was going on? I am currently building another and used a different wax. It didn't bead up and fisheye like before, but I still couldn't get the PVA to lie down flat and smooth. Wound up with a tiny "eggshell" texture on the finished part that I am unhappy with. There is some sort of sorcery required that I don't possess. Did the " mist coat" waited until it tacked up and followed with the "flow coat". The hardest part is getting it laid on until "just before it runs"! Now that I have done two, I know how much gelcoat is required for each part and I am going to skip the PVA next time.
Seconded it can still be a pain. I attempted to put 4 coats of partall over the shimmer, and there still must have been silicone contamination cause it beaded up just as bad.

I don't post on here much, but have kept a thread up elsewhere:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...gon-v2.198456/

Interested to see what else you have in the process as this thread is going on 3 years now.

A last note: if anything pops up, fiberlay tech support at their corporate 800 # has proved very helpful in both product knowledge and application advice. I've talked to Dwayne in tech support a handful of times this week and figured out alot.
Jakegrovephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #29

I feel like I have been remiss in my duty to post pictures of the finished product! Fact is the minute I got the job done I hit the road and never looked back. Now that I have decided to build another, this whole digital world is rearing it's ugly head again! I recently did a writeup for a friend's blog. His site is still in the embryonic stage but you can see it and Big Mike here:http://buildyourowncampervan.com I promise to do an update here soon!