Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #1

Big mike: The build

So I have been meaning to do this for awhile and just can't seem to get started, so I'm just going to start and do it in little bits.
After I got the fiberglass top made I had to design and build the lift mechanism. I basically copied Westfalia's "scissor hinge" design, made them out of 1/4" x 1" steel bar. Made a bunch of dummy models out of plywood strips to check the opening angles and function.Click image for larger version

Name:	48) homemade hinges.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	34035
Getting the gas springs sized right turned out to be one of the most difficult tasks of the whole project. I'm NOT an engineer. Online resources were pretty limited in range, most tools only dealing with small lids and doors. I got some tech help from Bansbach in Germany and one of their engineers helped me out immensely. Between his calculations and my seat of the pants guesstimate, I got it pretty close to what I wanted. it takes about 60# of downward pull to close it which is a bit much, but it floats just where I wanted to get the tent tucked in. opening it is a breeze, unlatch the lid, loosen the straps and give a little push.Click image for larger version

Name:	58.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	34036 I had a local canvas shop make the tent out of Aqualon material with 3 zippered windows. I was not super happy with it at first, thought it a little rough for my taste, but it has turned out to be waterproof and durable. Click image for larger version

Name:	installing the tent.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	34037 I attached it at the lid with 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum strips and truss head screws. at the curb I used the same metal but sandwiched it in a fold of the cloth and put stainless machine screws through pre-tapped holes in the curb.Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	34038

Old 06-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #2

Very tidy job, you can't beat when a good plan comes together.
asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

Wow! Nice work, man.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #4

Looks a lot like my GTRV!
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the kind comments.

Continuing with the build info: I did the insulation and floor next. All wall panels were done with 1" XPS "glued" in with triple expanding foam. 3X foam was used in all areas hard or impossible to get with rigid or batts. The areas around door window frames, inside columns, even in between roof and wall body panels. Once I had 1" of XPS on the walls I used batts to fill any remaining volume behind the finish wall panels.Click image for larger version

Name:	walls and paneling.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	34053Click image for larger version

Name:	batts to fill.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	34052 I held the batts in place with homemade staples made of bent wire.Click image for larger version

Name:	ins. staple.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	34054 The floor got patterned with rosin paper, 1" XPS was then cut to the pattern as was 3/8" CDX plywood. I test fit the dry parts and then working quickly, I filled the floor ribs with 3X foam and installed the XPS sheets and ply on top fastened with 1-3/4" concrete screws.Click image for larger version

Name:	floor ins..jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	34055 Concrete screws were great for this as they have a sharp tip, are hardened, and have a self-countersinking fluted head so i didn't have to pre-countersink all those holes.
Attached Thumbnails
floor 1.jpg  
Old 06-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #6

Garage
Nice work, thanks for posting.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

Looking good!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:30 PM   #8

How do I subscribe?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
How do I subscribe?

Brown header at the top of this thread, then click on the Thread Tools drop-down list. You'll then see the option to Subscribe.

Herb
Old 06-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #10

Thanks Bronco.

I did the drop down box on Thread Tools and the only two categories were "Show Printable Version" and "Unsubscribe from this Thread". I guess since I have posted already it auto-subscribes you!? Thanks again.