Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #31

This thing is gonna be so rad when it’s done. Hopefully i see it in Baja in the future!

Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #32

While I had the top off I decided to also follow suit and upgrade the lift hardware. My worst fear would be having a little kiddo up there and that thing coming down on them. Obviously need to look into easy ways to “lock” it up but didn’t want hardware failing. Decided to use mild steel instead of Chromo as it was way cheaper. Also got shoulder bolts and fab’d some spacers out of a $7 stick of 1 inch Delrin. Nice because that stuff self lubricates.

You can see the massive difference in size. I went up to 5/16 overall and used a sharp bit and press to drill everything and make sure that it lined up.

I feel SO much better about this.

I also took out one of the S links equal to about three chain links as well as put a 1.5inch block behind the “catch” lift assist springs.

Super clean.

dkonzelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #33

I am thoroughly enjoying your build, keep up the good work.
CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGgonzo12 View Post
I am thoroughly enjoying your build, keep up the good work.
Thanks! It has been fun so far! More to come...
Old 05-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #35

Power Mirror Upgrade

Time to get rid of the garbage mirrors on this van and get something I can actually use! I sourced some power mirros and plan to splice into the stock power mirror power and all should work well!

Got them from Carpart.com and the product looks really good upon arrival.
FD125ER $88.59
FD125EL $88.59

Original broken power mirror complete with duct tape.

This one is really special. No idea where or what this mirror this came off, but it sure looked and worked terribly. Time for some new glass!

Should have probably consulted the forum before diving into this one! Haha, ended up removing these pins (which I didn’t know you could do) and then put in some hex head bolts and large plate washers. Will try to get some pics of those soon.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonzelman View Post
With all of the top apart I decided to bust out the headliner and cloth stuff. I even had a chance to get my wife’s sewing machine out and remind myself how to do some basic sewing which was really fun. Decided on a light gray tweed that goes really well and i’ve used it before in another build. The fabric is burly and holds up well to regular use. I get it from Sewfine.

I too am loving your build! You're really hauling @$$, making progress. I was tickled to hear "Sewfine"—I used them for a custom interior on a pretty sweet Bug I built 25 years ago. Man, I feel old!
Sigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #37

Running boards/Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
I too am loving your build! You're really hauling @$$, making progress. I was tickled to hear "Sewfine"—I used them for a custom interior on a pretty sweet Bug I built 25 years ago. Man, I feel old!
They are still making great stuff!

Anyone familiar with the uHaul sliders/running boards? Curious how they look and function. There is a set for sale locally for $100 and that seems like a really good option compared to the $1500 price tag off most sliders like Aluminess etc. Also don't want something clunky and that looks/works poorly.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #38

I would buy those for the price alone! No experience with them, but in my other experience, they are all roughly the same. As long as they fit and are bolt-on, I would take them at that price. At least they aren't the hideous diamond plate chrome ones on all the work vans.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #39

So I picked up the running boards and boy are they beefy! I test fit them by blocking them up. They fit perfect. I think the plan will be to hit them with 60grit and get through the galvy and then hit it with black Raptor. It may have to wait a while with all the other projects going on! Here are a few preview pics.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #40

Gear Ratios Question

I have a question for you Ford guys and gals about gear ratios. I am planning to put a locker in my rear end and keep it true 2wd. I have not been able to ID my rear end yet. The door code says C2 which would mean limited slip but when I broke them loose to test it on some grass and gravel only one wheel spun.

I guess my questions are:

1) If I DID want to run larger than 33" tires, say 35's would a 411 gear be best? Not planning to tow anything regularly or I've heard 456 would be good.

2) Thinking ARB locker and compressor so I can air up and down.

3) Anything else I'd need to know and you think the extra cost etc would be worth it? Mostly driving on washboard and rutted roads at 40mph for hours in Baja...

Tags
ford e350 van, prerunner, smb build, stinky