Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonzelman View Post
So I picked up the running boards and boy are they beefy! I test fit them by blocking them up. They fit perfect. ...

Great find, and a great price.

Herb

Old 05-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #42
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Big "Stinky" Build Thread 1992 7.3 Baja Pre-runner

Think you’d have to do some trimming to stuff 35’s under there, but it may be different running 2WD vs. 4X4. I had to sneak my axle forward and move my track bar mount in the process to get proper clearance to run 35’s.
I had 410’s, went to 456, but I tow and am running 315’s (35’s), plus I’m heavy with a full buildout. I could have gone 488, but I think I would have wound out and compromised my non towing highway speeds. I think you’d be right in the sweet spot, esp running 285’s or equivalent, if you went with 410’s
Just for reference, I replaced my LSD with a Detroit Truetrac in the rear, I’ve left my front open, for now, I’ve considered running a locker in the front just to be able to pull myself out of something, but so far I’ve managed fine with having 4X4, a good set of sand ladders (a must have for Baja!) and a winch.
But....for your setup and intended use, if sticking with 2WD, I think you’re on the right track with putting a locker in the rear and adding an ARB compressor.
I’ve had no issues with my Warn Powerplant winch with built in compressor if you’re thinking of adding a winch, it actually does a fairly decent job of filling my 315’s, and I air down often, I added a locking collar sleeve chuck with a trigger for easier filling.
Other items-
Hummer jack with adapter (Agile Offroad)
Auto deflators (Staun)
Sand Ladders (already mentioned)
Tow straps
Shackles
Tool kit (wrenches, socket set) there’s a great thread on what people carry-Arctictraveller put together a pretty comprehensive list
Tire patch kits (hole plug, bottle of self sealing)
Spare tire or 2!!!
LED road flare light with multiple strobe settings, including SOS (I use this under hood at night to keep the critters at bay too)
Winch (also already mentioned)

Here it is....

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...rry-20892.html
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #43

I ran 285/75/17 (34" tall) with 4.56 gears in my 2wd EB for 40k miles and it was about perfect for my taste. I now have 315/70/17 (35") and 4.56 is still just fine for most uses, but I do feel like it's noticeably down on power when towing (16k lbs combined.)

Even if you don't need the power for towing, I'd still suggest that you go straight to 4.56 if you're even considering 35"s since we don't have the option of shifting our 2wd's into low range. A good friend of mine has 4.30 gears (and an ARB) and wasn't happy with the gearing with 35"s, so he went down to 285/70/17 (33") and has been happier... but he said if he were doing it over again, he'd run 4.88's.

I think you're on the right track with an ARB. If you want onboard air anyway, the extra cost of an ARB (as compared to just a limited slip + onboard air, or a Detroit + new axleshafts + onboard air) is negligible. I personally opted for a Detroit locker which required new 35 spline axleshafts since they do not make a 32 spline version (ARB DOES make a 32 spline dana 60 locker) to fit our vans. If you've never driven with an automatic locker you'd notice that the Detroit drives a little different than your typical open diff/limited slip. The benefit is that you never have to plan ahead to lock/unlock it, it just kicks in the moment traction is lost. An ARB would be completely unnoticed on the road, but if you were cruising in the sand and start spinning one wheel, you wouldn't want to bang it in on the fly with a big speed differential between tires, and you definitely wouldn't want to stop to engage the locker since that would likely result in getting stuck, hence the "planning ahead" for locker engagement.

The Detroit Truetrack limited slip is a nice unit, but for a 2wd that gets used off the beaten path, I'd personally rather have a fully locking differential that can keep things moving even if one drive wheel is in the air. The desert is a loose rocky place and unless you have the suspension and tire height to charge through the rough, you're going to find yourself picking your way up/over/around/through those rocks and a tire is going to inevitably float in the air here and there. Having a locker will (most of the time) allow you to just continue driving without much drama, where as a limited slip equipped 2wd that floats a wheel will often stop dead in its tracks and require either another attempt, or some sort of extraction (digging, moving/stacking rocks, winching, etc.)
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #44

With a V10 4.30's is good with a V8 4.56. You'll probably get about the same mpg on the 4.56 V8 as 4.30 with a V10., Imop! I have 4.30's but in a 7.3 diesel!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
With a V10 4.30's is good with a V8 4.56. You'll probably get about the same mpg on the 4.56 V8 as 4.30 with a V10., Imop! I have 4.30's but in a 7.3 diesel!
This is a 7.3 as well!
dkonzelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Think you’d have to do some trimming to stuff 35’s under there, but it may be different running 2WD vs. 4X4. I had to sneak my axle forward and move my track bar mount in the process to get proper clearance to run 35’s.
I had 410’s, went to 456, but I tow and am running 315’s (35’s), plus I’m heavy with a full buildout. I could have gone 488, but I think I would have wound out and compromised my non towing highway speeds. I think you’d be right in the sweet spot, esp running 285’s or equivalent, if you went with 410’s
Just for reference, I replaced my LSD with a Detroit Truetrac in the rear, I’ve left my front open, for now, I’ve considered running a locker in the front just to be able to pull myself out of something, but so far I’ve managed fine with having 4X4, a good set of sand ladders (a must have for Baja!) and a winch.
But....for your setup and intended use, if sticking with 2WD, I think you’re on the right track with putting a locker in the rear and adding an ARB compressor.
I’ve had no issues with my Warn Powerplant winch with built in compressor if you’re thinking of adding a winch, it actually does a fairly decent job of filling my 315’s, and I air down often, I added a locking collar sleeve chuck with a trigger for easier filling.
Other items-
Hummer jack with adapter (Agile Offroad)
Auto deflators (Staun)
Sand Ladders (already mentioned)
Tow straps
Shackles
Tool kit (wrenches, socket set) there’s a great thread on what people carry-Arctictraveller put together a pretty comprehensive list
Tire patch kits (hole plug, bottle of self sealing)
Spare tire or 2!!!
LED road flare light with multiple strobe settings, including SOS (I use this under hood at night to keep the critters at bay too)
Winch (also already mentioned)

Here it is....

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...rry-20892.html
This list is super helpful! Luckily after many trips to Baja in situations we probably should not have been in at the time, our kit contains almost everything you listed. Any good recs on the LED road flare? that is an idea that I have never thought of but I really like it. Lights go a long ways in the dessert when its pitch black out there!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:50 PM   #47

Running Board Prep

I wanted to post a quick update on the running boards. I have some old Raptor that I decided not to use as it is probably 6+ years old well past the shelf life. Some new stuff is on the way and in the meantime I got them down to bare metal through the grip tape, black rubber paint, and galvanized coating. Used 60grit so it left a nice rough texture for the Raptor to stick to.

Before

After

My shock cord also showed up. I couldn’t find tan at any of the links shared above so I ended up getting some Gold color. I was nervous about it looking shiny but when it showed up I think it will look perfect with the SMB color canvas. I will upload a color sample for contrast later but here is how it showed up. Gold 1/4” from West Coast Paracord. Also, immediately after taking this photo my thumb got stuck inside what was the equivalent of the razor sharp mouth of a tin can. Luckly was able to get it out without leaving the end of my thumb in the reel but be mindful in case you order your own

Old 05-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #48

Interior Paint and Progress

Had some time yesterday to finish up some of the details from the interior top job. Also tested the Limited Slip and need some advice and help on that. Finally got to refinish and paint the rear plastic which I was excited to try. Turned out great! I used the same SEM Stealth Gray as REF did on his interior build and I think that it looks good. Other details included a reclaimed leather belt used as pull-down handles instead of the lame chrome ones from SMB.

Here are the rear door panels prior to painting. Gave them a quick wipe down with some strong cleaner and then clean water. Let them dry the painted them using my bare metal running boards as a stand. We will call the overspray “primer” haha. Still waiting on my raptor liner to show up to get those done.
Before:

After:

Finished product. Love it.

Also really digging the tweed look and pull handles!
Old 05-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #49

Limited Slip?

Limited Slip?
I am confused and need some help with the limited slip I have. I did a few burnouts on grass and during the first one it looks like both wheels were spinning. I did a few more after that and only one wheel broke loose. I guess my questions are:

1. How well do LS dif’s work? How do they kick in best and if they are working properly in this situation should both wheels engage every time no matter how fast I accelerated etc?
2. Are there any better ways to test this other than shredding my field a little more?

First burnout where both wheels spun

Second and following burnouts looked like this:

Old 05-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #50
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Can't help with the LS axle but wow the door panels look great!

Materials for that sort of job have come a long, long way since I owned a body shop back in the middle 80's.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford e350 van, prerunner, smb build, stinky