Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #1

Blown sidewall insulation?

Well, first the confession: I may have made a strategic error in my build.

I have a 2006 passenger van, and I did not plan to remove the interior trim panels and add insulation on the lower walls. The biggest reason is that I have absolutely no confidence that I could remove the trim, install insulation, and then reinstall the trim, and I don't know anyone with those skills. My struggles getting the jack cover back onto its tabs and little slotty-things reinforced my doubts (this was a problem in my old van, too).

Meanwhile, I've put down the plywood subfloor and the Allure vinyl flooring; the stack fits snugly under the lip of the interior trim, which helps keep it in place.

Then I looked down the holes in the wall trim where the seatbelts used to feed, and realized just how much dead space there is! And I started thinking about nights in the teens and 20s...

So, I don't want to uninstall the flooring, and I definitely think (based on experience with the jack cover panel which ultimately I had to Dremel and ) that removing / installing the side panels is out of the question.

Could I blow loose insulation down into the sidewalls using the seat belt holes? There's some non-fiberglass loose insulation that seems a good choice. In theory this would work, but the holes aren't as large as the nozzle of a standard blower, so I'm not sure how I'd do it.

I guess the worst case scenario is that I continue with my plan to plug the holes, and just leave the dead space.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

Re: Blown sidewall insulation?

Blowing the insulation up thru a hole might work for some time.
Gravity and road vibration will bring everything back down.

To add on it, if you blow it in the wrong place (lower parts of the body), it pick's up humidity and then have the body rust thru...

My 2 cent.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #3

Re: Blown sidewall insulation?

Good point about the road vibration settling loose insulation. I hadn't thought of that.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll buy a Mr. Buddy heater (for when I'm awake only) and a four-season sleeping bag!