Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #11

I'm looking forward to following another interesting build. Have fun.

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #12

Looks like FRP box. It is possible to go to a truck body manufacturer and buy a sheet cut to your rear dimensions or have them install it but you should mount the door for access first if none between the seats.The FRP adds R value as well way better than the aluminum skin but slightly heavier in weight. It is also better off road with zero to minimal vibration noise compared to the banging drum aluminum skin boxes. You can skin the back with marine plywood and paint or Rhino line but it would be so much more appealing with the exact same material. I missed out on a Chevy Navy unit with a Duramax. I built a toy box out of a 24 foot box years ago with 3 torsion axles. I hauled my Jeep in it to rock crawl events quads to Glamis and Wave runners to Baja Ensenada with a quad for launching the wave runners. Galley up front with built in shower. I used the roll up door spring assist to raise and lower the rear plywood aluminum skinned ramp door I built. I will look for pics. Any way my 2 cents.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Neato, congrats!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I'm looking forward to following another interesting build. Have fun.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Looks like FRP box. It is possible to go to a truck body manufacturer and buy a sheet cut to your rear dimensions or have them install it but you should mount the door for access first if none between the seats.The FRP adds R value as well way better than the aluminum skin but slightly heavier in weight. It is also better off road with zero to minimal vibration noise compared to the banging drum aluminum skin boxes. You can skin the back with marine plywood and paint or Rhino line but it would be so much more appealing with the exact same material. I missed out on a Chevy Navy unit with a Duramax. I built a toy box out of a 24 foot box years ago with 3 torsion axles. I hauled my Jeep in it to rock crawl events quads to Glamis and Wave runners to Baja Ensenada with a quad for launching the wave runners. Galley up front with built in shower. I used the roll up door spring assist to raise and lower the rear plywood aluminum skinned ramp door I built. I will look for pics. Any way my 2 cents.
I'm buying a sheet of Filon, aka FRP RV siding. So basically the same stuff.

On my way home, I'm stopping in Elkhart, IN, where almost every RV in the USA is built, and picking up a used RV door, Filon, and a couple windows. And whatever else I find.

A shower will be going in, along with a RV style water heater.

I've already ordered the 4- 280ah LifePo4 batteries. And I'm planning on 800w of solar if it will fit. And two vent fans. So the roof rack will be built first.

I pick the van up in 2.5 weeks when I get off work. I work on a boat.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:22 AM   #14

What kind of 280Ah LifePO4 batteries did you order? At what price and where from?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
What kind of 280Ah LifePO4 batteries did you order? At what price and where from?
I ordered prismatic LifePo4 batteries from Aliexpress. I ordered 16 @ $2k for all of them.

That makes 1,120ah almost for the price of 2 Battle Born batteries. You have to add a BMS to each pack ($60), and a heater if using in cold weather, which I will be. And a custom battery box.

There's a little DIY to it, but for the price it can't be beat. And it's just as solid as any off the shelf unit.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #16

Finally picked the rig up.

Drove 700 miles home in one sitting. On the way home, the belt started squealing. When I got home, today, I decided to do a bunch of maintenance to the van.

I wasn't messing around and changed both the tensioner and idler pulleys, and the belt.

The air filter hasn't been changed in 5 years.... yikes!

The coolant looks like muddy water. I'm sure the PCV has never been changed. That's what will be done tomorrow. Everything is running great, just wanna make sure it stays that way.

I'm not gonna lie, the gas engine with the 5 speed is great. Quiet, plenty of power and super smooth. My wife is a architect by trade and ready to get thing going. We are all super pumped.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #17

"But it was fleet maintained", they said. Lol. Glad you are giving it some love. No telling who had it or how it was driven/maintained (unless you happened to find out) but the good news is it's one of the toughest vehicles on the planet. 5.4's are cheap and available too.

So it has a 5r110?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
"But it was fleet maintained", they said. Lol. Glad you are giving it some love. No telling who had it or how it was driven/maintained (unless you happened to find out) but the good news is it's one of the toughest vehicles on the planet. 5.4's are cheap and available too.

So it has a 5r110?
It has a 5R110. Makes it easy for 4WD.... If we do that.

When I bought it, I knew it wasn't going to be kept up the way we would. I'm trying to keep from buying a new engine. But the way it's looking, I "should" be ok as long as I can do anything I can to prevent failure.

Only thing left is coolant and spark plugs. Everything else has been done today. The PCV is something overlooked as well.

I'm also going to do a transmission flush and filter change and a rear diff fluid change. Also, going through the rear and front end with brakes, shocks, any moving parts, etc......
Old 09-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #19

I added a new Alpine head unit, with Apple Carplay. It's a night and day difference.

The USB outlet I added that's for the Carplay, went where the RSC button would have been. It looks factory! Super stoked about it. I will also be adding door component speakers and rear speakers with an amp.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #20

Garage
Nice, looks great.