Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2021, 05:01 AM   #31

Not sure if your solar panel order can be changed, but the 60 cell panels are available up to 395w each (maybe 400w) - dims are 68.5 x 41.0 in. Two of those would lay fore/aft side by side within your 84" dimension and free up about 16" for your skylight.

I have purchased from TandemSolar in the past, but any LG distributor should have access to these. I would connect two of these LG's in parallel to retain the ability of adding a ~200w (2x100w/19v) in series=~38v portable supplemental set, if desired. Example: A Renogy 200w suitcase w/o controller rewired to connect in series)

https://tandem-solar-systems.com/wp-...G395Q1C-A6.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C5A225F-A952-4249-8370-82A345C1026B.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	41588

re: Black roof top water tank vent?? picture??

Old 10-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #32

How do you plan to wire them, parallel or series? Or each pairs in series then parallel those two pairs?
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Not sure if your solar panel order can be changed, but the 60 cell panels are available up to 395w each (maybe 400w) - dims are 68.5 x 41.0 in. Two of those would lay fore/aft side by side within your 84" dimension and free up about 16" for your skylight.

I have purchased from TandemSolar in the past, but any LG distributor should have access to these. I would connect two of these LG's in parallel to retain the ability of adding a ~200w (2x100w/19v) in series=~38v portable supplemental set, if desired. Example: A Renogy 200w suitcase w/o controller rewired to connect in series)

https://tandem-solar-systems.com/wp-...G395Q1C-A6.pdf

Attachment 41588

re: Black roof top water tank vent?? picture??
They were delivered today unfortunately or I would look at that.

I'm adding a full shower stall with toilet. To get everything to finish the roof, I'm trying to get everything that's going up there installed.

Black water tank vent.

I'm also adding a wifi booster, cell booster, shower vent, and HAM radio antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
How do you plan to wire them, parallel or series? Or each pairs in series then parallel those two pairs?
I'm going to run each pair in series and then parallel the two pairs.

Either way it goes, the MPPT controller with be more expensive than I wanna pay. But, oh well.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #34

Ah, a true vent for the holding tank. You have probably considered the vent location vs your roof ventilation vent

Ventilation / Steam extraction for the shower??
Old 10-10-2021, 10:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Ah, a true vent for the holding tank. You have probably considered the vent location vs your roof ventilation vent

Ventilation / Steam extraction for the shower??

Yes, for the shower steam ventilation. I’m gonna use a Maxx Fan 6” fan with LED light, or something similar.

I work on a boat, and my time home is sometimes limited. But I am planning on having the roof rack finished.

I still need to order the HAM radio antenna, and the 80/20 rails, which I will do this week.

The sooner I can get the roof rack done, the sooner I can put the RV door in and close in the rear of the camper. With the elevator bed in after that, it will be able to camp in even with nothing else finished.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:11 AM   #36

What are you planning re: ham radio, just VHF/UHF or HF as well? I'm also a ham but haven't installed anything yet.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:02 AM   #37

Box Truck Betty - 2014 E-350 12ft SRW Box Truck Conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
What are you planning re: ham radio, just VHF/UHF or HF as well? I'm also a ham but haven't installed anything yet.

Honestly, I don’t know jack about HAM. I will in the future get my license and a radio, I just wanna get the antenna installed while it’s easy to do.

Maybe you can point me in the right direction for a decent radio that doesn’t cost $500 and the correct antenna?

Any advice would be super helpful. I have a FCC license for work, but it’s not the same thing.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:22 AM   #38

My advice is to wait until you're licensed and have a good grasp on your options. Not all radios and antennas are created equal. You'll probably want to start with a VHF/UHF mobile radio so, if you want, read up on mobile ham VHF/UHF installations and run the appropriate antenna coax cable, power, etc. and decide on the antenna later.

Here's a video that covers mobile installation:

You can get your Technician license in a one day "Ham Cram" (class and exam) or you can study ahead of the exam on your own. Ham Crams and exams are sponsored by your local Ham Radio club. Gordon West has a great series of study guides that you can study during your downtime on the boat. If you go the Ham Cram route, it's best to have a good grasp of basic electronics before the class (volts, amps, watts, resistance, etc.)

https://www.gordonwestradioschool.co...resources.html
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
My advice is to wait until you're licensed and have a good grasp on your options. Not all radios and antennas are created equal. You'll probably want to start with a VHF/UHF mobile radio so, if you want, read up on mobile ham VHF/UHF installations and run the appropriate antenna coax cable, power, etc. and decide on the antenna later.

Here's a video that covers mobile installation:

You can get your Technician license in a one day "Ham Cram" (class and exam) or you can study ahead of the exam on your own. Ham Crams and exams are sponsored by your local Ham Radio club. Gordon West has a great series of study guides that you can study during your downtime on the boat. If you go the Ham Cram route, it's best to have a good grasp of basic electronics before the class (volts, amps, watts, resistance, etc.)

https://www.gordonwestradioschool.co...resources.html
Thanks! That sounds like a good option.

I'm gonna have 4 antennas total when it's all said and done. A Wi-Fi booster, cell booster, CB which will be mounted on the hood, and a Ham antenna. The cell and Wi-Fi boosters will be able to fold down when not in use using a marine antenna mount.

It's crazy the amount of money I've spent (I'm keeping track of every red cent), and I'm still so far away from even starting.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #40

I have a video coming out soon of starting the bench seats.

I was getting a check engine light code P0420. I changed all 3 O2 sensors, and after a few miles it came on again. I changed out the catalytic converter, so far so good: