Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
225
Senior Member
 
225's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 145
Box Truck Betty - 2014 E-350 12ft SRW Box Truck Conversion.

My current van is stranded in Pittsburgh, PA. We went on a trip to Niagara Falls / Hudson Valley, and I lost the torque converter climbing the West Virginia mountains.

It's currently at a storage unit in Pittsburgh (and for sale). We got a rental cargo van to finish out the trip:



I've been hunting for a SRW 12ft box truck for a while. I found a used rental truck for a decent price with just over 100k on it.

It will have a sideways bed, a RV door, and a mini split A/C. Probably 4WD once the interior is finished and have the finished weight.

I work on a boat, so I have to wait 3 weeks before I can pick it up.

It doesn't have cruise control, so gotta fix that ASAP, and then do all the driver's cabin stuff like new radio/speakers, backup camera, CB radio, etc...






It's located in Chicago, but was a Southern truck. No rust. On the way home, I'll pass Elkhart, IN, where they build every RV in America.

They have tons of wholesale RV stores. Hopefully I can pick up a RV door and a few other things I need.

More to come!
__________________

__________________
2014 Ford E-350 SRW Box Truck
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 83
Congratulations on your find! Looking forward to future reports on this worthy project.
__________________

__________________
Mike L
2011 e250 5.4 eb42 e-ph agile offroad 4x4
snomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 589
I like how the box barely extends beyond the cab on the sides. Great find!
__________________
2003 Astro AWD
2005 Tacoma Access cab 4x4
1999 E350 RB 7.3 "Al B. Tross" aka "Exxon Valdez"
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,364
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
You don't list the model year but as its at least a 2007 adding VSC should be fairly easy. You'll need the steering wheel, clockspring and control switches. The last two items are very year specific, the steering wheel can be from a similar year F-Series or E-Series.

Activating the VSC that's already in the PCM can be done through the dealer after parts are installed or this might also be done using the FORScan free software.

If luck goes your way VSC is already enabled, you'll know immediately once the parts installed, connected, power to the chassis restored and you're on the maiden test drive. Touch the "on" button, then "set"---VSC will take control of the throttle. Touch the brakes to cancel the VSC then "resume" to make sure all is well. If its not coming on call the dealer or trusted mechanic and make an appointment to have the PCM enable VSC.

BE CAREFUL working around the air bag! Disconnect the negative battery terminal at least 15 minutes before removing and temporarily disconnecting the air bag. Don't reconnect the battery terminal until you've double or tripled checked the snap together electrical connectors.

Nice looking van---hope the price was right too!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
225
Senior Member
 
225's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by snomad View Post
Congratulations on your find! Looking forward to future reports on this worthy project.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
I like how the box barely extends beyond the cab on the sides. Great find!
That's why I wanted the single rear wheel. Same width as a regular van but way more room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
You don't list the model year but as its at least a 2007 adding VSC should be fairly easy. You'll need the steering wheel, clockspring and control switches. The last two items are very year specific, the steering wheel can be from a similar year F-Series or E-Series.

Activating the VSC that's already in the PCM can be done through the dealer after parts are installed or this might also be done using the FORScan free software.

If luck goes your way VSC is already enabled, you'll know immediately once the parts installed, connected, power to the chassis restored and you're on the maiden test drive. Touch the "on" button, then "set"---VSC will take control of the throttle. Touch the brakes to cancel the VSC then "resume" to make sure all is well. If its not coming on call the dealer or trusted mechanic and make an appointment to have the PCM enable VSC.

BE CAREFUL working around the air bag! Disconnect the negative battery terminal at least 15 minutes before removing and temporarily disconnecting the air bag. Don't reconnect the battery terminal until you've double or tripled checked the snap together electrical connectors.

Nice looking van---hope the price was right too!
Thanks, it's a 2014. I got it for $16k with 120k miles with a 5.4L.

I've looked at Tasca Parts and they have everything.

I have FORScan so I "should" be able to turn it on if it's not on already.

I haven't looked at the van yet in person. Just have a deposit down and financing approval. But hopefully it has the brake pressure switch already installed too.


I'm planning on a RV door first, and then doing the roof rack with solar panels.
__________________
2014 Ford E-350 SRW Box Truck
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mikracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 2,438
Can you cut in an access way to the box from the cab? I think thats one of the biggest advantages with these camper vans in that you dont have to exit the van to get into the living area.
__________________
2005 E350 Chateau - V10 - Agile Offroad 4x4
2012 CTS-V Wagon - For the baby...
mikracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
225
Senior Member
 
225's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Can you cut in an access way to the box from the cab? I think thats one of the biggest advantages with these camper vans in that you dont have to exit the van to get into the living area.

Oh yea. Thatís happening ASAP! I already have one seat swivel, but Iíll be adding a second one too.
__________________
2014 Ford E-350 SRW Box Truck
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mikracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Oh yea. Thatís happening ASAP! I already have one seat swivel, but Iíll be adding a second one too.
Nice!

..........
__________________
2005 E350 Chateau - V10 - Agile Offroad 4x4
2012 CTS-V Wagon - For the baby...
mikracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,606
I have some driver swivels available to ship in a week.
__________________
Ray
Beastie 3: 2002 7.3 EB Cargo: Agile TTB, CCV Mid Top, Custom Walk Through, Lots of stuff added. BlingMyRig.com
1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,340
Neato, congrats!
__________________

__________________
-Eric

2010 Chevy AWD home build
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Blue Buffalo

BigBrap

PhoTo

Otter
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×