Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

Brand new to the forum

Hey there! New to this forum, my name is Josh and I wanted to introduce myself. At this point in time I do not have a van, but I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Chevy Express 2500 passenger van...yeah, I said passenger. My van is going to be my daily driver/kid hauler/utility trailer tower/mobile office/camping base station/and family road tripper. I'm totally fine with a cargo van, but I was thinking I better get some windows for my kids to look out of or road trips are going to be kind of rough. I've been lurking for a bit checking out build threads, pics, and had the good fortune of meeting Accrete and his wife this past Monday at a local campground. They were so kind to show me their van mods and campsite including the most wicked camp hammock setup I've ever seen!

I'm going to use my van differently than most at this point in my life as I have 4 kids and a wife and there is no way I'm going to be able to sleep everyone inside. There may be the occasional time where the wife and I can get away alone, but that would be the exception and not the norm. When we do get that opportunity we will sleep in the van, and when the kids are with us we will sleep in a Springbar canvas tent.

Vancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome!

We had a Clubwagon for several years for the same uses. A minivan is OK, but with a full size van, you never have to say "we can't take my car because..."

The biggest issue for us was the OEM rear bench, when folded down, was an uncomfortable bed. We did make snap-on curtains for all the windows. A pain to put up but came in handy.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

Garage
Yeah, the windows are great for traveling with passengers. I really like the view in mine. We pull a little trailer for camping and kids get the van for sleeping. It's much improved from the days we wrapped up wet tents in the rain!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #4

Rather than add a post I figured I'd comment here.

Has anyone grafted a sprinter bench seat onto a set of Chevy bench seat mounts? I want to create a larger seating area with three integrated seatbelts, while still having the flexibility to remove the seat when I need to.
Vancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forums Vancave.

It was our pleasure to show you around the van-camp

Best wishes on your rig's build and the fun memories it will bring.

Thom (& Cari)

accrete is offline   Reply With Quote