Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #1

Bumper options?

I need to upgrade the stock bumpers on my 2009 E350. Seems like most people go with Aluminess. I've also seen the Weldtec and Ujor designs. Anything else I'm missing?

Should I just bite the bullet and go for the whole Aluminess setup?

this is the clearance I have right now after putting 35's in. I don't want to cut the bumper, it's in perfect shape and I figure I can still get a couple of hundred for it.
Attached Thumbnails
clearance.jpg  

tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #2

I think buckstop makes bumpers and reunel. But those are steel so very heavy.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #3

I went a DIY route with MOVE bumpers, they sell you a kit with all the steel pieces and you put it together and paint it yourself. Their bumpers look pretty mean and I think that also was one of the reasons I went that route. Some day in the foreseeable future when I actually have "free time" I do plan on posting up an entire build thread on here, but I'm too busy with other things to put that time in at the moment.

Couple notes:

I went with a heavy duty offroad option they sell with 1/4" plate steel. After build this deer killer weighs about 230lbs, yeah you feel that pretty quick with handling. When I upgraded the front end suspension with the RIP kit from Agile handling went back to "normal" acceptable behavior.

The build took me about 50 hours to complete over the course of 1 month and you have to have access to a big MIG welder (capable of welding 1/2" steel, I think ours was either a 350 or 500Amp welder) and have all the other ancillary metal working power tools needed. So this is definitely not the route for someone who isn't into metal working and doesn't have access to a welder and metal shop. But I enjoyed the process and it was pretty sweet to have this thing installed knowing my friend and I built it.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
I went a DIY route with MOVE bumpers, they sell you a kit with all the steel pieces and you put it together and paint it yourself. Their bumpers look pretty mean and I think that also was one of the reasons I went that route. Some day in the foreseeable future when I actually have "free time" I do plan on posting up an entire build thread on here, but I'm too busy with other things to put that time in at the moment.

Couple notes:

I went with a heavy duty offroad option they sell with 1/4" plate steel. After build this deer killer weighs about 230lbs, yeah you feel that pretty quick with handling. When I upgraded the front end suspension with the RIP kit from Agile handling went back to "normal" acceptable behavior.

The build took me about 50 hours to complete over the course of 1 month and you have to have access to a big MIG welder (capable of welding 1/2" steel, I think ours was either a 350 or 500Amp welder) and have all the other ancillary metal working power tools needed. So this is definitely not the route for someone who isn't into metal working and doesn't have access to a welder and metal shop. But I enjoyed the process and it was pretty sweet to have this thing installed knowing my friend and I built it.
Thanks, but I don't have any welding gear (or access to any) or any desire to do any welding.

I think I'm just going with the full Aluminess setup.
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

Buckstop or Trailready would be my choice. Reunel are no longer made unfortunately, unless they reopened.....again....again. I think Buckstop bought them out. CarringB will know.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Buckstop or Trailready would be my choice. Reunel are no longer made unfortunately, unless they reopened.....again....again. I think Buckstop bought them out. CarringB will know.
Yup. Buckstop manufacturers Reunel now. They bought the whole thing and make them in house. So effectively, the difference between Buckstop and Reunell (and Trail Ready) is just the styles.

I've super happy with my Buckstop. It will take on a large buck, at 75 MPH on the freeway, and be completely unaffected (other than the license plate embossing itself around the bracket). Aluminum is optional.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
I need to upgrade the stock bumpers on my 2009 E350. Seems like most people go with Aluminess. I've also seen the Weldtec and Ujor designs. Anything else I'm missing?

this is the clearance I have right now after putting 35's in. I don't want to cut the bumper, it's in perfect shape and I figure I can still get a couple of hundred for it.

If you remove your Stock bumper.. and add a 2 or 3 inch block to the Bumper Frame Horns Mounting location, (a spacer) you can fix this and keep your OEM bumper.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:

you can save a lot of $ and added weight buy shimming the bumper out as Vanziler said and also by adding a bull bar (to carry lights and stuff). A local welder can do it for you or DIY.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4694 7(4).jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't have any welding gear (or access to any) or any desire to do any welding.

I think I'm just going with the full Aluminess setup.
I think the U-Joint front is way nicer than the Aluminess but I like the Aluminess rear so that is what i did. U-Joint standard powdercoat is also much nicer than Aluminess so I got the code from U-Joint and had Aluminess match their rear to U-Joint front. Its a satin-ish lightly textured black, I'm happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
front.jpg   back.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #10

I had the ARB Sahara bumper for an F350 and bought the MG Metalworks adapters...I just liked the look more than the other aftermarket offerings...just another option
Attached Thumbnails
20200816_170520.jpg   20200816_170431.jpg   20200816_170403.jpg  
cherokee98 is offline   Reply With Quote