I am planning on replacing floor carpet in my van and need ideas on cab area floor insulation and sandwich options.
I have 2005 E150 cargo to passenger conversion by LAWest.
The van is used for windsurfing, mountain biking and short camping trips.
The floor should be waterproof and easy to sweep.
My plan for cargo floor area is more or less clear -
layer 1: about 30% Dynamat coverage in spots around rear diff, wheel wells etc.
layer 2: insulation+top layer - something waterproof, I dont see a need for plywood, I have 2 cabinets bolted through the floor under the van.
I bought BedRug VanTred mat
Its top layer is "TPO rubber construction", about 1mm thick textured hard plastic.
Bottom - looks like pool noodle like foam material about 1/3"-2/3" thick, fits the corrugated floor patters and should work as thermal insulation.
Cab area floor idea (from behind front seats to firewall)
Currently the carpet is glued directly to metal floor boards in this area.
The goal is to provide noise improvement along with some thermal insulation.
layer 1: Dynamat or similar for sound insulation
layer 2: thermal insulation: closed cell foam sheet (aka Minicell) product, spray glued with 3M 77 or 90 to Dynamat. No insulation under seat mounts area or under entire seat in case I replace OEM base with swivel seat base. Correct me if I am wrong on this.
Candidates: 1/4" or 1/3" thick sheets of closed cell foam.
NOICO Red 150mil foam
Or 2lb density Minicell foam.
layer 3: Vinyl floor 3M 77 or 90 spray glued to foam sheet.
Candidates: Husky coin
or G-floor coin
flooring (both PVC I believe), etc.
Open to suggestions here.
1. Dynamat - safe to 200F AFAIK. Will floor board even get warmer than 200F considering their proximity to headers and exhaust (pass side) and melt Dynamat?
2. Do I need more insulation than 1/4" foam in a cab area?
3. If I go 1/3" foam insulation, will it be not too flexible and hold vinyl layer well in critical areas, like under feet and pedals?
4. Is it easy to clean coin floor? Things like sweeping sand and wiping dirt off.
5. Anything else I missed or can be improved?