Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #11

Would you recommend using the same stuff for the door panel? its for the barn door back door where I will mount the cabinet.

surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Was just at Sportsmobile

I believe the stock cabinet material they use are "Armacore" (not sure on spelling)

highly water resistant strong stuff.

I liked the optional light "Diva" color (new to them) and it is fancy 8 ply laminated plywood. Also tough stuff.

john
Ya its called ArmorCore, accordning to their web site "ArmorCore is also specified in very low humidity areas to minimize veneer checking."

Low humidity to me seems like they are saying, does not like water? I Know SMB claims you can dump it in a bucket of water, but that makes no sense to me because as you cut the plywood and open up the cells, and as soon as moisture hits it, its going to swell. this would be like any wood unless, its a composite.

I hear its strong and light weight stuff.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #13

Garage
I used 3/4" baltic birch for both my cabinets and counter top. Finished both off with hand rubbed MinWax poly. I used Kreg pocket screws on the cabinets and attached them to walls of my van with PlusNuts.
I'm very satisfied.

/Users/bidgoodr/Desktop/IMG_2461.jpg
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #14

your pic did not get attached.

Whats your frustration?

I have been toying with the idea of spraying the cabinet and door panel with Raptor bed liner. It has a textured finish but its a orange peel texture that is smooth not sand paper. I will likely be spraying my roof with the stuff and have used it on my bumpers. It would make the cabinets pretty tough and easy to clean.
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
Ya its called ArmorCore, accordning to their web site "ArmorCore is also specified in very low humidity areas to minimize veneer checking."

Low humidity to me seems like they are saying, does not like water? I Know SMB claims you can dump it in a bucket of water, but that makes no sense to me because as you cut the plywood and open up the cells, and as soon as moisture hits it, its going to swell. this would be like any wood unless, its a composite.

I hear its strong and light weight stuff.
Well, I guess I can say that the Armorcore stuff doesn't like water.

I noticed some swelling of the material at the bottom edge of my dinette seat cabinet. My water tank is under that cabinet, but I haven't found any evidence of a water leak and the inside surface isn't swollen so I think the water came from the aisle side. My only guess is that there was some sweating from a six pack which was stored in that area for an hour during a trip. The bottom edge of the Armorcore material must have soaked up the water and swollen just like cheap MDF.

I've noticed that Sportsmobile uses some sort of glue to protect the exposed cut edges where it meets the loncoin floor; it honestly looks and feels like rubber cement. My guess is that there was a spot where the glue coverage wasn't adequate and it allowed the water to soak into the exposed cut edge of the Armorcore where it meets the floor.

I just purchased a very thin PVA glue that I'll use to seal this seam where the cut edge of the Armorcore meets the loncoin flooring. I guess I'll also contact Sportsmobile to see if this sort of thing is covered by their warranty.

grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote