Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #51

Re: CCV Medium Height Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder

Sure, but less actuator travel means more force required since TINSTAAFL..after all we are doing the same amount of work...the existing actuators are almost pushing at rated load just lifting the top.

That's most likely also going to end up with highly stressed tubing members since you'll need to push closer to the pivot point to lift the top the same distance. Perhaps the best approach is an actuator that starts perpendicular to the lifting element to minimize force required at startup and then ends up at some acute angle at the end of it's travel...just thinking out loud......or a linear rack and pinion setup for lifting.
I've done a gear driven lift design before but it required a lot of components. It lifts an insane amount, I will say that.

A stressed member is ok if it has been designed for the task. I get where you're coming from though. Probably not worth the effort if you have to make something big and heavy to halve the deployment time. On the other hand, we're not trying to lift a school bus... The forces aren't going to be ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
.....anyone who can reverse engineer canbus protocol and buys a spare frame to figure out how to shoe-horn in a cummings motor is a genius....or needs their head examined, or both.....
Probably both... I just bought a van body so I can use the front/firewall/doghouse for fitment and fabrication of custom parts.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #52

Thank you mg and boywonder for a great exchange of ideas, analysis, and viewpoints in these posts.

SMB has a design that has functioned and performed for many decades and numerous vehicles. It has its issues, risks, and compromises.

CCV has lots of units in use since 2008, has its issues, risks and compromises as well.

It is nice to have a choice, albeit, maybe not the ultimate one.

One thing I have realized is every single aspect and moment of our path through life has risk associated with it. Each of us processes the risks differently in order to cope with existence. This difference is a great aspect of what allows us to innovate (and survive) as a species.

I will get my 300w solar panel installed and run some tests with loads in the mega warrior rack. And work on getting the rest of the van built out, still lots to do.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:26 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Thank you mg and boywonder for a great exchange of ideas, analysis, and viewpoints in these posts.
Ditto that. Earlier today I was thinking about measuring some angles on my CCV lift arms and trying to remember how to do a free body diagram as well... but since MG sketched it up in solid works I'll just not worry about that any more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
I will get my 300w solar panel installed and run some tests with loads in the mega warrior rack. And work on getting the rest of the van built out, still lots to do.
Do you have an amp meter? It would be interesting to see what your power draws are with the different loads. I see about 12-15 amps 'getting out of the hole' and then it decreases as the top goes up and has better leverage.

After reading through this thread and other related threads today, I think I can take the stance that I am glad that the CCV top takes the minimalist approach. I'm talking about the top itself, independent of the lift system. My SMB top was HEAVY. Granted I had 80's technology, but I'm not sure much has changed. I won't stand directly on top my CCV top let alone have a couple people use it as a viewing platform the way SMB designs their top to be. The tradeoff of course is a significant difference in deadload. I think this makes a difference driving down the road and when designing the lift mechanism.

I rebuilt an 80's era SMB top, so I had the opportunity see where the wearing points developed, examine hardware, straighten and reinforce bent lift arms, etc. With the tops in the air, I must say that I have less concern for failure on the CCV top vs. the SMB. I have less concern for an imposed load (branch, snow, etc) randomly bringing the top down in the middle of the night. This isn't based on numbers or equations, just my observations of how everything is put together.

I agree that there is still probably a better solution out there, but I'm completely content for the time being. MG - if you are ever in Central Oregon and want to check out the CCV mechanism give me a shout. Next time I'm in the valley and have some spare time I'll be sure to look you up to see what kind of fun things you have going on.

Sorry to be a part of the thread derailment, but I think there is some great input being contributed. Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #54

Still liking your mid-height?
FarmerFrederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:51 AM   #55

Still very much liking the mid height CCV top!

Three weeks of usage through Arizona in November. Plenty of room up top, easy up and down of the top, nice lighting. Still playing around a bit with cushion storage when the top is down. During the day when the top is up, we tilt up the rear section and stow the the other two pieces above the cab. This arrangement provides plenty of space for our walk through design.

Another big test will be in a few weeks when we head out for three weeks of skiing, staying in the van. Headed to Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Mammoth and Squaw. Will finish installing the Espar D4 this week. so hopefully will have a toasty space even with the top up.

The extra height when the top is down is very nice, too. It is really very, very comfortable.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #56

Ray, could you post a pic or at least give a measurement of your walk around space with the top up and bed sections stowed? Mine only folded back a little, and really didn't give us much more than about 4-5' front to back. It was one of my only complaints about the CCV top. My other complaint, which is with all pop tops, is the temperature difference from bottom to top. It would be really good to run a duct for your heater up there somehow. Any ideas on that? You may want to place your vents towards the front of the van at least so some heat will travel up there.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #57

Hi Eric,

The walk space is the full length of the van because I do not have the cross piece that is usually welded in about four feet from the back. That cross piece is fine in a 50 layout but does not work with a walk through, The rear 4 ft section just pivots up at the rear edge. I plan on gas struts at some point but for now just put a couple of wood supports to hold it up. The foam cushion stays up there as well. The forward two 19" each bed platforms and cushions stow over the cab. So it is wide open. I will get a pic one of these days.

Re heater ducting - yep, I have been giving that lots of thought. AS IO am installing the Espar right now, I have been considering running a duct up a wall to get heat up higher. The main heat outlet duct is at floor level / mid van. It is also where I routed the the factory rear heat to exit. I am looking at some way of creating a plenum to distribute the heat. The dust collector for my Delta wood planer is really sweet when I use it from round to flat but it will not hold up to the heat!
Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #58

Cool info, thanks! Derek didn't want to do a full open roof when I had mine done. I'm glad he's changed his mind. Hundreds of SMBs have proven the strengh of the van with the full roof removed. I'll be curious what you come up with on the heat.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #59

We have the fixed 4' section in the back, but it works fine with our 50 layout. I'll be interested to see how you route your heating as well. I've thought about putting a computer fan in one of the back corners to simply move hot air that is trapped downstairs by the penthouse bed to the upper bunk rather than try to run a proper heating duct. As is, I'd guess there is about a 10-15 degree differential between the lower bed and the penthouse, depending on how cold it is outside. To be honest it isn't a big deal for sleeping, but it would be nice to have the option to equalize the temps a bit better. during the day if we remove a section or two of the penthouse platform the air circulates up top much better.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #60

I'm hoping to get this top installed sometime this year. I wonder if Derek will be able to make the rear section completely removable. When I had an SMB, we would sometimes sleep with our heads towards the front of the van and sometimes with our heads to the rear of the van. It would be nice to have that option with this top.

My future plans also include a propex heater mounted in one of the under van storage boxes (where the stock spare tire goes) with the vent mounted to the lid of the box (van floor). If that plan comes to fruition and the rear section of the top is able to move about, then I'm thinking the heat would have a direct path to the top when raised.