Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #61

Thanks for the reflection guys. I'm getting my mid-height installed on our regular body in late March. I'll keep you posted with my final design details! We are excited!

FarmerFrederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I wonder if Derek will be able to make the rear section completely removable. .
Ours has no cross bar and the rear section is completely removable / movable. That was mandatory for our walk through design! All of our plywood bed pieces have stiffeners and we have had no issues with the platform or top. Pic attached - pls excuse the mess, still doing functional mock up installation to work out the fine details but you can see the rear bed section tilted up. I am thinking to install gas struts on the rear bed platform, but then it becomes more "fixed", so may just final a design using supports. I can stand upright two feet from the back doors.

Let me know if any questions

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4144.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	10654
Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #63

Thanks for the clarification Ray! I'm liking this top more and more.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #64

Garage
look at all that room inside
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Thanks for the clarification Ray! I'm liking this top more and more.
Yeah, me too Jin! I wish my first one was done this way. That space is tremendous.

I like your plan for the Propex. I would consider routing a duct up in to the top if possible, maybe one you could shut off when the top isn't up?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #66

Did you ever figure out how much weight works for having on top and still lifting? I'm in line for a Medium and planning on mounting a rack with a Thule box. What's your experience been?
dfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfudge View Post
Did you ever figure out how much weight works for having on top and still lifting? I'm in line for a Medium and planning on mounting a rack with a Thule box. What's your experience been?
Derek said 100#'s driving and 50#'s lifting, but he hasn't answered my question about how people put anything up there at all. A medium sized Yakima box weighs 50#'s all by itself without mounts and rails. Do I have to empty the box just to raise the top?
FarmerFrederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #68

On page 5, boywonder did a calc based on the actuators and geometry(?) and came up with 328lbs. Not sure what the top itself weighs, but I imagine its less than 275lbs.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #69

Yep, top by itself is around 120 pounds. Two of us lifted it up top when test fitting, wasn't easiest lift to make but we did do it. That was before adding the two ten ft lengths of U channels, insulation, lights, paint, etc. Probably another thirty to forty pounds.

For loads: We have a 300 watt solar panel (39lbs with mounts), Thule tracks the length of the top and a Yakima Mega Warrior basket with extension (about 45 lbs) In addition to all that, right now we mounted cross bars w/ ski rack, two pairs of skis and poles. Top lifts fine.

The critical part is the first five or so inches of lift. After that the angles of lift become more efficient.

Fwiw- I guess the Yakima/Thule boxes weigh about the same or less than the MegaWarrior.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:27 AM   #70

Thanks everyone for helping out with my question. I did see boywonder's post which was great to know. I was mainly wanting to get the real world experience review. I'll likely only have no more than 100 lbs. total on the roof. So that works! Thanks 1der for sharing.

FarmerFrederico- I'm driving out and dropping mine of on March 14th, maybe I'll see yours there?
dfudge is offline   Reply With Quote