Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #1

Cheap Lift For a 2wd

I want to get some more ground clearance for light to moderate trail duty. I know the simplest and cheapest thing to do would be to install taller tires, but does anyone know what is the tallest tire you can put under an EB E-350 without rubbing? - Stock is 30" so I'm hoping to get upto 32"s. 33's would be even better, but I've read that you need a 4" minimum suspension lift for that.

I'm aware of Camburg and ActionVan, but thier 2wd lift kits start at about $2k. If I was gonna spend that much I would do a partial Ujointoffroad kit. That would give me a minimum 4" lift in 2wd and get me 60% closer to a full 4x4 converision that could be completed when funds permit.

But I can't even afford that right now. So is there a cheap and simple way to lift the suspension even just a little, say 2"?

I know the rear is easy with simple lift blocks. But what to do with the front coils? Airbags maybe?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #2

Re: Cheap Lift For a 2wd

Coils and a camber kit in the front end. Blocks in the rear.....cheapest way to go if that is what you are looking for. Correct me if I am wrong though, is the EB 350 Twin I beam in the front?
kxkid715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxkid715
Coils and a camber kit in the front end. Blocks in the rear.....cheapest way to go if that is what you are looking for. Correct me if I am wrong though, is the EB 350 Twin I beam in the front?
Yup, same as a RB.

So there's no other way to lift the front suspension, not even 2", other than a coil and camber kit for $2k? - I'm guessing the problem is with the I-beams messing up the camber when you lift, right?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #4

Ok, nevermind. I just studied the front end and think I've answered my own question. It looks like any attempt to raise the springs or use longer ones, is going to throw off the static camber, due to the twin I-beam design. Probably not a good Idea to do that. - Guess I'm saving up for a Ujointoffoad kit.

But I'd still like to find out what are the tallest tires I can put under her in stock form. Anyone know?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #5

Doesn't the F-series have radius I-beams? I know guys are always wanting to level the F-series because they aren't level empty, which takes a small lift in the front and there are probably inexpensive leveling kits out there (i.e. whatever the least to make it look better)

Maybe you can find something to work from a similar year F, or slightly earlier if you're near an F/E break as the vans tend to trail behind in design.

If you come across anything cheap for a 99 F250 4x shoot me a link...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #6

I have 265 tires. Mine does sit slightly higher due to heavier rated springs. If you do not alrady have 4600# front springs, then switching to those will give you some mild lift. Ford even does 5,000 pounds springs now on the vans.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Doesn't the F-series have radius I-beams? I know guys are always wanting to level the F-series because they aren't level empty, which takes a small lift in the front and there are probably inexpensive leveling kits out there (i.e. whatever the least to make it look better)

Maybe you can find something to work from a similar year F, or slightly earlier if you're near an F/E break as the vans tend to trail behind in design.

If you come across anything cheap for a 99 F250 4x shoot me a link...
Not sure, but the radius arms are not the problem on the 2wd van. It's the twin I-beam axel arms that are mounted transversely in front of the cross-member. The design induces a scissor-like motion as the suspension drops (or frame rises, however you look at it). This appears to significantly affect the camber angle.

I did a little more research, and aparrently the lift-kit companies bend the I-beams to compensate. Kinda sketchy, IMO.

But maybe I'm missing something, and there is in fact a cheap and safe way to do this. If someone here knows better, please chime in?

I did come across this cheap levelling kit for your F250, though it's only 1.5". Hope it's what you're looking for: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi ... 112L3.html
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I have 265 tires. Mine does sit slightly higher due to heavier rated springs. If you do not alrady have 4600# front springs, then switching to those will give you some mild lift. Ford even does 5,000 pounds springs now on the vans.
Thank you! This may be my best option for now. Any idea how I can positively identify the # rating of my front springs?

265 tires are pretty close to 32". That combined with the stronger springs might give me an extra 2" ground clearance....better than nothing for someone on a tight budget.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Thank you! This may be my best option for now. Any idea how I can positively identify the # rating of my front springs?

265 tires are pretty close to 32". That combined with the stronger springs might give me an extra 2" ground clearance....better than nothing for someone on a tight budget.
If you have the stock springs, then you can just go by the FAWR on the door pillar sticker. Now... ordering replacements from the dealer is tough. Their computer lists the springs by letter code, not by weight rating. My dealer did not have a translation chart, so the alignment shop I used ordered some from an aftermarket spring maker that lists them by weight. You could probably cross reference the front springs on a pre-08 E450 as those would be 4600#
Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #10

Oh yeah, forgot my SD has leaves in the front...