Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Chevy Express floor width

Hi all,

can anyone tell me the width of the floor for chevy express? i see the wiki indicates 52.25 between the wheel housings but i would like to know the width at the floor wall to wall.

it looks like the housings are about 10"-12" wide each but id like to be sure.

im drawing a mock up of a home build and i dont have access to a physical van yet.

i may be renting one this weekend to tool around in and measure every square inch but until then i could use the info.

(i cant believe how impossible it is to find this info on google without landing on so many anti personnel mines! sheesh!)

youd think "chevy express interior cargo dimensions" would be a safe search

thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

Re: Chevy Express floor width

Look's like it's 50.4-50.5" wide between the wheel wells, 57" wide total. That's from the Chevy site and I cross checked on Motor Trend. Good luck with the build! Nice to see another GM onboard! What powertrain/frame are you building it on?
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

thanks...i thought it would be slightly wider. glad i asked.

im staying 2wd as im not planning an off road build.

looking for 99-04 (ish) model. 155" wb. highly prefer 5.7L v8 2500 or 3500 series. few windows as possible so cargo rather than passenger.

plan to add camper top with lowest height i can stand under. im 5'10" so looks about 20" or so.

ive chosen the chevy not because ive been chevy guy forever (i have) but because the cargo area looks easier to finish out (studs vs whatever ford does). just seems easier. fords certainly seem to be in much higher abundance i have to say and i started searching for e350 EB.

i also like the fact that the wheelbase grew with the longer bed. not sure i trust the overhang on fords from a driving stability standpoint or swinging it around etc.

turning radius must be the sacrifice on chevy i would assume. ill find out for sure when i rent one and drive around in it.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #4

About 4 inches above the rr wheel house the width is 72" before paneling. I have two 26" wide storage boxes and a 20" wide isle.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

is there much variation between the model years and or location where you measure? (ie at floor or beltline)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygvan
is there much variation between the model years and or location where you measure? (ie at floor or beltline)
The Chevy Express body has been the same since '96. (E350 body hasn't change since '92, except the cockpit floor which changed in '97).

The floor is the widest point in the Express. It's nearly vertical until the hip-point, then it tapers narrower. The E-series is widest at the hip-point.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

I've got an empty 2007 extended bed I can get you data from if you still need it. No walls or insulation currently in it.
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels
I've got an empty 2007 extended bed I can get you data from if you still need it. No walls or insulation currently in it.

thanks wheels...i think i have everything i need so far...at least enough to plan...im about two weeks away from purchase when i can actually get my hands and tape measure on it.

thank you for the offer.