Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

Chevy Express Weekday Warrior

Greetings. Recently retired from the construction field. This NTM van that was a weekend warrior can relax a bit and is now a weekday warrior. Much quieter at the CG's during the week, I find.

Ive been mocking up a layout using sticks and screws and plywood and plastic cabinets. This is my first north-south floorpan. It's great to be able to have side and rear egress. I made a flip style couch/bed behind the driver seat that's 77" long and the bed flips open to 48" wide. This leaves about 6" of room between it and the cabinets at the side door area. Could have made it that much wider but there's just enough room to pass thru vs crawling over the bed to get to the porta potty at the rear.

Going on a second shakedown three day trip today to further play with a few small mods. I'm pretty much done on building. Next, in due time, will be making wood cabinetry along with wall and ceiling coverings. Or not. Don't care.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2019.jpg   IMG_2022.jpg   IMG_2026.jpg   IMG_2030.jpg   IMG_2018.jpg  

regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #2

Garage
Lots to be said for north-south layouts. Looks like a functional layout.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Good idea doing the temporary (or not) mock up to test your layout ideas. I have nothing elaborate in my work van but after its all done we do tend to re-think what might have been done better or differently.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #4

Whelp. Learned a few things.

Bed/couch is too high when the seat cushion are used.. The butt is higher than the knees when sitting and it gives a sliding forward feel.. Not bad but couldn't get comfy. I'll rebuild it so the base is even with the cabinet base beside it. That will lower it almost 3" and will be fine. Top of cushion will be ~18" AFF. The flip bed may not last long.
Cumbersome. Planning on maybe a gaucho.

Solar. I'm all over it except for one point of contention. I was under the impression that house loads should come off the battery bank and to not use the load terminal on the Solar Controller. I burned out a couple remote lighting IR gizmos. Rewired the load(s) to come from the SC and everything is peachy.

Window screens are Skeeter Beaters. Decent product

Here's how I roll:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2031.jpg   IMG_2035.jpg   IMG_2037.JPG   IMG_2040.jpg  
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote