Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #121

Looks awesome!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #122

Garage
Looks great! Now get a move on and come join us in Death Valley!
Old 10-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #123

Alright, initial interior plan is below

My interior is greatly inspired by mgmetalworks 2015 SEMA build found here: Optima Batteries SEMA 2015 Build - Page 17 - Expedition Portal

Some notes:
- Initial plan is to use 80/20 for all of the framing. 3D mockup is for me to try and estimate the cost of this to decide if it is worth it.
- Planning on the seat to be from a transit. I would take off the base and attach it to a box somehow. That way to have storage underneath. I am not happy with the current offerings and really only need to sleep 2 anyways. Would rather have passengers for non-overnight trips be comfy.
- Behind the bed is a platform that is 36" wide. This can sleep someone end to end if need be. Might sleep here if I am riding solo.

Definitely more to come, just starting the plan on this and wanted to see if there is any opinions on this. Would love to see if anyone has mounted a stock seat ontop of a custom box before.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #124

Unfortunately I am having some fuel pressure (i think) problems at the moment, so i haven't been able to go out and push the van to its new limits yet.

But All recovery gear is ordered and I just ordered an Espar D2 with high altitude kit.

Going to pushback the pop top purchase until a used one of someone makes i newly designed one that I like.

So that means I have before Christmas to re-do the inside and insulate it for some winter camping/ski trips.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #125

Be sure to check your local CL for 80/20, extruded aluminum, etc. Sometimes you can find really good deals for it.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #126

I would think you would want to find a way to mount the transit seats direct to the floor with heavy backer plates and then build the box around the base.

I have a couple forward folding bench seats from a safari that fold forward and flat. I was gonna use these and then build a platform behind it and use that as my mattress base. I have a pretty solid plan on how to modify them for mounting. I am going a different direction and if you want one or both, you can have em. There are some pics in my build thread of them.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I would think you would want to find a way to mount the transit seats direct to the floor with heavy backer plates and then build the box around the base.

I have a couple forward folding bench seats from a safari that fold forward and flat. I was gonna use these and then build a platform behind it and use that as my mattress base. I have a pretty solid plan on how to modify them for mounting. I am going a different direction and if you want one or both, you can have em. There are some pics in my build thread of them.
Interesting idea. Any reason why you went away from it? Drawback to me would be the fact that you have to have the cushion stored somewhere to place over it and the bed ends up pretty high.

This whole seat thing is making my head spin. And it always leads me back to the fact that the RB 50 layout is king for transporting 4 people and wanting a bed downstairs

edit: Important note, must have forward facing seatbelts. Love the walkthru's but alas, kids are coming in the near future
Old 10-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #128

THe nice part about using 80/20 to build is I feel ok building it in parts. Also lets me change ideas down the line and try stuff out without a huge pain like grinding and re-welding. Thus, I will hopefully build this soon for the fridge.

- Fridge will be on heavy duty slide out drawers
- Fridge has to be elevated to clear the "fuel bump" behind driver
- Top will be 24x48 and will be a stainless table top ripped off of the cheapest table i can find at ikea/amazon/craigslist
- Below fridge I plan on mounting the espar and other electronics
Old 10-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Interesting idea. Any reason why you went away from it? Drawback to me would be the fact that you have to have the cushion stored somewhere to place over it and the bed ends up pretty high.

This whole seat thing is making my head spin. And it always leads me back to the fact that the RB 50 layout is king for transporting 4 people and wanting a bed downstairs

edit: Important note, must have forward facing seatbelts. Love the walkthru's but alas, kids are coming in the near future

You nailed one of the reasons, the bed platform get's high. And I think I was having trouble fitting them over the wheel well too. Crap, just a thought. I have them if anyone wants them.

I bit the bullet and ordered up a leather duchess and custom depth extend a bed from shop4seats.com. 54 wide and laid down the platform will be 76 deep. I am 6'2, so I need a long bed. Decided that I am going black leather on the interior seats and then go lighter grey all around. I too will be using 8020 and such for me interior. Your layouts are awesome!! I am waiting until I have the sofa to really get after it. But I can't do high cabinets until I get the pop top in.

Congrats on the kids!! My whole reason for getting the van was to take my little guys all around the west in style.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
You nailed one of the reasons, the bed platform get's high. And I think I was having trouble fitting them over the wheel well too. Crap, just a thought. I have them if anyone wants them.

I bit the bullet and ordered up a leather duchess and custom depth extend a bed from shop4seats.com. 54 wide and laid down the platform will be 76 deep. I am 6'2, so I need a long bed. Decided that I am going black leather on the interior seats and then go lighter grey all around. I too will be using 8020 and such for me interior. Your layouts are awesome!! I am waiting until I have the sofa to really get after it. But I can't do high cabinets until I get the pop top in.

Congrats on the kids!! My whole reason for getting the van was to take my little guys all around the west in style.
Sent a PM with some Shop4Seats questions. I originally looked at them and moved along, but the duchess looks good and would definitely fit the bill.