Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #151

Looks like a great trip. As said above, it could be rainy on the Oregon coast. Of course it could be sunny too. Either way the coast is beautiful. You will be heading right past us on your way back.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #152

I guess that's the advantage of traveling in a van with no reservations. Load it up with everything possible and follow the weather.

Switched out the dome lights to LED's last night. When I first bought the van I took out the bulbs immediately so they wouldn't drain the battery when parked with the door open. Now with the LEDs they are wired into the switchpro and can be turned on/off from either the control panel or my iphone. Should work well for laying in bed and wanting to turn off the lights.

Of course I dont still have the cover for teh rear dome light, so plexiglass will most likely have to do.

Mounting the inverter under the bench seat next to the batteries, so I am looking to extend the switch to a more accessible spot. Thats when I thought of using the switchpro. Could use a relay i guess, but tonight I am going to test the voltage going thru the switch and hope it is 12v. In that case, I should just be able to splice in the hot leg from the switch pro and be good to go. At least thats what the hope is. Nice thing about using the switchpro is it has a low voltage setting that will protect the batteries if i leave something on.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #153

Also, all of this working at night stuff needs to stop!

Although, after seeing people working in the snow, I guess I should stop complaining.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #154

Everything looks great bemerritt!!

Did you end up using fiberglass insulation in the van body walls as well?? I am still kind of going back and forth between Thinsulate expensive stuff and just stuffing fiberglass in there. My budy suggested rock wool but I am concerned it's too rigid.

Keep up the great work!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #155

I did use fiberglass. And reflectex everywhere else. Planning on some rigid as well, but will probably have to add some of that later. Part of the reason I wanted all of the panels removable. But it really should only determine how much the espar has to run.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #156

Double post because I'm in a jam.

Any ideas on this leak?

Was about to leave for a week and noticed a leak on the driveway when warming up the engine.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #157

Well I just got back from the inaugural trip last night, and before I post up a trip report, I figure I better update how Clif looked on his way out. Still have a lot to do, like cover the window panels, but definitely at a place where it is fully functional.

It was a photo finish and I probably screwed in the last panel less than an hour. Definitely rushed some things at the end, but overall pretty happy with it.

Then got some Christmas goodies to strap on before we took off

Perfect fit with the yakima box and Ski rack

and as a teaser for the trip report

Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #158

With a trip to Utah under two weeks away, back into working overtime adding some features to the van.

Finally mounted the maxtrax to the roof rack. Modified some cheap light mounts to fit the maxxtrax mounts. Everything was super easy, except I bought the wrong size mounts haha. Had to beef up the yakima bars with some gorilla tape for now.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #159

Well well well, things are about to get real interesting...Thanks to my wanted ad, brought this home today. Huge thanks to everyone on this forum, and especially for Greg who reached out to me. Told him he made my year!

Overall its in decent shape considering it came off of a totalled sportsmobile that flipped. Most damage was already fixed by the seller, as originally he was going to use it. The most damaged part is the bottom of the canvas where it meets the top of the van.

Since the rest is in good shape I want to make it work. The way i look at it, the three options for that is:

1. Out of sight, out of mind. Try and make it work as best possible. There really is only one or two bad spots as pictured
2. Try and reinforce t somehow
3. Basically trim where it was previously mounted and have the top extend 2" shorter.

I think I will do the last option, but curious what others think
Old 06-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #160

Wow. Just caught up on this thread. Nice work!!

I would suggest hitting the internet and find a sail maker or similarly inclined person to either completely rebuild the canvas or at least fix the bottom portion for you. I don't think if would be difficult to cut the ratty section off and add a clean section of new material.

What are the odds you find a red top??