Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Ya, building up the material isn't a bad approach. Not well versed in fiberglass, but i guess no better time than the present! I'll have to get a better look at how big the gap really is.
Yeah, me neither. But it ain't rocket science, and it's not structural or anything!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #182

Got my roof bolted on last night and have been driving it around as my daily. Man those springs are loud shaking around, i guess thats why they had all that padding in there!

Put the bolts thru the top, below is the assembly I used

the large washers are slightly smaller than what sportsmobile uses, and I just traced out butyl for the first two washers. The top washer is a self sealing stainless from mcmaster. This way I can change out the bolt easily if needed for longer lengths when Ido the interior.

Got the fron "seat belts" bolted in. There has to be a better way, right? I a msure someone on here has some thoughts on the matter. I also need to figure something out for hte rear, as the seatbelt was broken. However, I have talked to several people that they never buckle the back down

Hopefully will finish off the hardware tonight, as i needed some bolts the right size and whatnot. Then focus switches to raptor lining the roof, then attaching the canvas this weekend!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #183

Also, after looking more at the gap in the front, it is about 1/4", so going to let it ride for the time being, see if it settles at all and how much water really gets under.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #184

So the seatbelt things were a weird retrofit that SMB designed after a lawsuit. They don't really work super awesome.

Most folks don't have them, and use the normal metal hook things:

Also, if the springs are really rattling around, you might need to adjust them a bit/or install larger 'helper' blocks.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #185

Yeah, that clamp looks more like it. I'll have to hunt some down.

As for the springs, since its a powered top, I only have the two that are actually in tension when the top is down. I think some padding tape will go a long way. Waiting to see if the springs need adjustment until I add the rack and solar.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #186

Quote:
Yeah, that clamp looks more like it. I'll have to hunt some down.
SMB sells them.. I bought some for my first van when I installed a junkyard poptop.

Quote:
As for the springs, since its a powered top, I only have the two that are actually in tension when the top is down. I think some padding tape will go a long way. Waiting to see if the springs need adjustment until I add the rack and solar.
Electric? Fancy. But I don't know how those work so can't comment.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
SMB sells them.. I bought some for my first van when I installed a junkyard poptop.
I actually might have some old ones lying around. I'll try and remember to look tonight.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #188

Looks nice! I think you will find that the top aligns itself a little better after the canvas is in and bungeed. Also, the springs and mechanism will be quieter after you find the noisy places and dampen them with something like velour or a thin material. The SMB top is a cantankerous design, though. on any side-to-side incline it will never want to sit down flush. I couldn't have an SMB without a ladder because I'm always climbing around it on the outside after shifting the top a little and tucking in canvas before I latch it.

Speaking of, I bet Nancy can get you the old latches, and they adjust and are spring loaded, so to speak, so they might cinch that front down like you want.

Whether you get a good seal there or not it shouldn't leak and personally I never went long at all without popping mine up, so no chance of moisture, tree crap or anything else becoming a problem unless you leave it shut for long periods of time.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I actually might have some old ones lying around. I'll try and remember to look tonight.
That would be awesome! Thanks for looking.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Looks nice! I think you will find that the top aligns itself a little better after the canvas is in and bungeed. Also, the springs and mechanism will be quieter after you find the noisy places and dampen them with something like velour or a thin material. The SMB top is a cantankerous design, though. on any side-to-side incline it will never want to sit down flush. I couldn't have an SMB without a ladder because I'm always climbing around it on the outside after shifting the top a little and tucking in canvas before I latch it.

Speaking of, I bet Nancy can get you the old latches, and they adjust and are spring loaded, so to speak, so they might cinch that front down like you want.

Whether you get a good seal there or not it shouldn't leak and personally I never went long at all without popping mine up, so no chance of moisture, tree crap or anything else becoming a problem unless you leave it shut for long periods of time.

THanks for the heads up. They aren't on their store website, which isnt too much of a surprise. Just realized I've already talked to nancy when getting the canvas, I'll have to shoot her a message if rally can't find them.

The top is coming down surprisingly well, crazy how much slop is allowed within the design.