Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #211

Ill try more power. Just for kicks I connected my house and starter via my blue sea and it did not help. I may just have AAA tow it to my local ford, as they should be able to fix it quick, which is what I need. Just sucks, because it is almost certainly something I messed up and definitely something I should be able to fix.

THe confusing part to me at least is the intermittent power when I simply put the key in the ignition. Sometime it is normal, other times nothing.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #212

Wait, this is a 7.3, didn't these have issues with crank or cam position sensors?

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #213

yup. I did have the cam position sensor changed 6 months ago. Here is a post on another site that perfectly represents my experience. Its a good sign that there are no responses, right?!?

Quote:
Tried to quickly find a similar problem without luck. Heres the scoop.

2002 F350 7.3 Auto. Insert Key, turn to run all accessory power lights up. Power windows, locks, radio lights everything works nothing on cluster. Turn to start just cranks indefinetly w/o starting. Tried cycling key on/off x infinity no luck. Then a random turn and it'll light up cluster starts no problem. Happens again fiddling fiddling nothing. Pull on key a little bit while in run position, dash lights up and can start. Then today everything was fine. Stopped at grocery, parked truck. Went to go home, the truck no start situation again, still power everywhere else. Tried adjusting steering column up/down, moving gear selecter to/from park. Nothing. Gave the column a smack below the tumbler got dash, started truck run fine then just kaput died. Now I can't get the dash to light again. Could it be the cylinder, tumbler and/or the ignition switch?? Have a feeling im going to have to dump it to ford because its been intermittent. I know there has been some moisture onto the fuse panel as one day i opened it and some water was in the lid. Just trying to narrow down the problem so I may be able to fix it before the stealership enjoys my hard earned keep.
7.3 Intermittent no start, then died while running - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Old 07-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #214

If you haven't figured it out or taken it to Ford yet put this question on Expo!

Good luck, nothing like drama before a trip.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #215

Gonna give it another try tonight before throwing in the towel. Several threads on the diesel forums, so have some things to try. One guy had a fan that was stuck that kept it from starting, lets hope its that simple.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #216

Ended up being a loose bolt for the ground:

Tightened that up. And replaced this fuse:

And deleted this code:

And I was good to go. Drove over 800 miles this past weekend and everything seemed fine. It did throw another code at me that I forgot to write down, but it seemed to be a low voltage/glow plug deal. I think it had to do with me running my fridge without my solar connected.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #217

First two nights in the pop top were glorious, especially given how hot it was. so nice to sleep with the vents all open.

Although, i forgot to zip up the penthouse vents before driving and this happened

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Or is it because of that small less than half inch gap i have on one side? Also noticed that my seatbelt straps cant get completely tight to keep the top down, so I really need to change those to the latch style.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #218

Maybe the bungee cord around the canvas needs to be a bit tighter.
I don't think mine would do that if I left the windows open.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #219

Open a window or a door when raising/lowering the top.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #220

I actually have the black bungees much tighter than the white ones it came with. I was worried about any slop in my install, so i figured thats where I would try and compensate for that.

It was weird tho, I could hear the wind getting in the top, and could even feel it from the drivers seat. I was driving alone, so i could not have anyone investigate. I think it must be a combination of the ever so slight gap on one side, and not being able to get the seatbelt clamps super tight. I left out a piece of trim inbetween the seat belt mounts and the b pillar, so they are closer to the top by about 1/2".