Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #221

In hindsight that ground bolt makes perfect sense. I'll file that away under things to check when voltage tests fine while the engine acts like the battery is failing. Thanks for sharing!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #222

So you're saying you had the PH canvas pushed in after you dropped the top and it came out while you were driving? Or you didn't walk around the outside and tuck it all in before you left? I've never heard of canvas coming out like that.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #223

Got one of my CRL windows in. Wow, no more blindspot haha.

Honestly, it was more work than expected. Air chisel definitely tool of choice, and my cut on the inner metal is nothing to write home about. But that will be covered with some trim. Overall, really happy with it. I am considering putting hte same window, but flipping it 180 degrees, on the rear side of this van. That way the edges of the two windows facing each other will be aparallel and the edges frontmost and backmost will be slightly angled following the lines of the van. Also have an awning window for behind the driver.

File this under the, "I knew it would be big, but until you see it you wont truly understand how big it is category." Had been eying the samelex solar 2000 watt pure sine inverter/charger for a while. Found this floor model for half off and jumped on it.

Other things in the garage ready to be installed:

- 80/20 Ujoint rack
- 20 gallon water tank under van
- need to wire up my PIAA fog lights
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #224

Sweet inverter.....I think 1der has the same one (or similar).....you'll need some battery horsepower to run that at full potential.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #225

Yeah, it will certainly suck down juice. I got it a lot for the pass through and charger options for when I bring my honda to replicate shore power. Leaning towards a 110 volt water heater, so this will let me have it in a more hardwired configuration.

Also, if I go towards a 200 amp alternator it will let me run some 110v power suckers while driving. Pretty sure thats how 1der has it set up as well.

I have been toying with the idea of a microwave, but we will see. I have started shifting from enjoying the camp cooking experience to wanting to get it done as quickly/painless as possible to enjoy everything else going on.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #226

If you have an inverter and big battery bank I think a microwave is priceless. Sure it takes up some cabinet space but they're like $50 for a small one these days and at least for my crew we use ours every day!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #227

Any reason at all to get a microwave that is marketed as an RV one? Other than it probably uses less power?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
If you have an inverter and big battery bank I think a microwave is priceless. Sure it takes up some cabinet space but they're like $50 for a small one these days and at least for my crew we use ours every day!
haha! I'm completely opposite of you my man! To some, a microwave is a must have but since I don't even use our in-home microwave, I question the need for one. I'd rather have the space. Even small microwaves take up some real estate in a van.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #229

AFAIKT, no, on the special purpose microwave. I did some research two years back on this. I even ended up with a turntable one because it was cheaper and smaller. I vaguely wish I had a small non-turntable one.

For me having easy re-heating of stuff we brought with is a huge win. So I do recommend the microwave, but it really does depend on how you go about camping.

(pre micro wave, one of my best friends would eat campbell soup, cold, directly out of the can, while camping, if that helps establish a baseline, I do sometimes the he's insane, but still, he's my best friend...)

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Any reason at all to get a microwave that is marketed as an RV one? Other than it probably uses less power?
I don't think they necessarily use less power, they just probably cost more. You know, just because. That's the way they get us with marketing. You don't need that lousy residential microwave, you need this special DOMETIC (or whatever) microwave........which is the same thing.