Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #271

My brother alerted me that this thread got bumped, happy to see it helping someone. Attaching the canvas to the top is much, much easier with the top off the van and upside down on some saw horses.

As for the distance, the main thing to take in consideration is the length of the rails that sit in the top. That determines your hole dimensions. Where that hole needs to be for me was determined by the front cross member that the hole lined up with.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
My brother alerted me that this thread got bumped, happy to see it helping someone. Attaching the canvas to the top is much, much easier with the top off the van and upside down on some saw horses.

As for the distance, the main thing to take in consideration is the length of the rails that sit in the top. That determines your hole dimensions. Where that hole needs to be for me was determined by the front cross member that the hole lined up with.
Thanks for the quick reply. Ok awesome I’ll tackle that after the canvas is repaired.

As far as the brackets go, I’m putting and EB top on an RB so I’m trying to figure out where the cut starts in the rear so that I’ll know how much I need to shorten the front of the brackets to sit on that B crossmember.

If anyone has the ability to measure from the gutter or from the brake light or some reference point to the top frame that would be huge!

Thanks again
Justgosurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #273

The pic with the tape measure is what i measured from the donor van. Based off the other image with the brake light, it should let you confirm that.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4190.jpg   IMG_4239.jpg  
Old 09-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #274

If you've got the canvas off it's a great time to cut 2" wide strips from 1/4" thick plywood to reattach the canvas to the roof........you'll thank me later.

Yes, flip the roof upside down.

If you do this mod, you can then just have the two crossbar blocks on the ceiling retain the headliner. You wont have a zillion screws showing and you can get behind the headliner for wiring etc without the canvas falling around your ankles.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
If you've got the canvas off it's a great time to cut 2" wide strips from 1/4" thick plywood to reattach the canvas to the roof........you'll thank me later.

Yes, flip the roof upside down.

If you do this mod, you can then just have the two crossbar blocks on the ceiling retain the headliner. You wont have a zillion screws showing and you can get behind the headliner for wiring etc without the canvas falling around your ankles.

Ahh that’s a great idea. I was definitely going to do the strips for the upper canvas but still figured I would need a bunch of screws for he headliner. What thickness board did you use to do that that will have enough rigidity to not sag at the corners?
Old 09-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
The pic with the tape measure is what i measured from the donor van. Based off the other image with the brake light, it should let you confirm that.
Bingo! That’s exactly what I needed. Thank you so much. I’m assuming that’s with the end of the tape measure hooked on the outside gutter?
Old 09-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgosurfin View Post
What thickness board did you use to do that that will have enough rigidity to not sag at the corners?

The strips and headliner start at post #18.....

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...p-10808-2.html
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #278

Any regrets going with the black Raptor liner on the top? I plan on spraying mine with Raptor but I'm concerned about the additional heat from a black roof.
dirtmerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtmerch View Post
Any regrets going with the black Raptor liner on the top? I plan on spraying mine with Raptor but I'm concerned about the additional heat from a black roof.
none at all