Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #71

I've gone back and forth on building a new bed bench seat, but want it to be safe. At this point I am going to have SMB west install a standard rb50 seat in an empty shell of my van and build around it.

Any recs on what seat fabric to use? I like the onyx20, but it looks like it may be soft? Want something that is the most durable and also the most flexible color wise to match the rest of the interior.

Thoughts?

Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Ford/Chevy/GM Interior Colors & Materials

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #72

Will SMBW install just a seat for you? I didn't know they did that.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #73

Yup! Took some time to relay exactly what i wanted, but the plan is to get the mounted rear seat with seat belts and no paneling on the bottom front of it. Also getting the bed part that goes behind it unmounted. I plan on building a box with drawers to support that part in the back.

Haven't got a quote for it yet, but should be just under $2500.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #74

I'd think twice before spending $2500 on a bench seat install. For $27 I found a nice folding bench seat with seat belts out of an old conversion van that functions just like an SMB gaucho. It will get re-upholstered and then I still have the option to use it with the existing metal frame with paneling or mounting it atop a custom enclosure. Either way, it may end up a $400 bench seat install but no where near $2k. You can put that money towards other build components and accessories.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #75

I know BC Canada is a long ways away but with the dollar exchange where its at, this could be worth the trip up if you want to walk into a 7.3l with pop top and 4x4. Check it out. The guy has had it for sale for awhile and just dropped the price $5000. He may move even more. Not associated with the seller, just thought of this ad while reading your buildup story.

00 4X4 FORD CAMPERVAN | used cars & trucks | Kamloops | Kijiji
KilrPilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:39 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
I ended up staying far away. Decided that in 10 years, I will not even remember letting this van go by, but if I sold the 7.3 and the 6.0 died on me, i'd sure as hell remember that.

Onward!

Now, thinking really hard between the sportsmobile penthouse and the Fiberine super camper fixed top. The latter is half the price and I like the idea of the extra storage.

I would definitely want it painted and my whole van could need a good painting, figure the savings can cover that. Anyone get a full van painted somewhere in so cal and can point me in the right direction?
Putting in my 2 cents for the Fiberine top. Pros and cons to either option but I really like having the stand up headroom anytime. You can view my build thread to get an idea on the amount of headroom it provides.
2xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #77

Bajasportsmobile just posted this......SMB RB50 bench for $500 in denver

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...own-17760.html
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #78

Go get it! For $2500 you can buy the sofa and have a nice vacation to Colorado!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #79

Thanks for the heads up on the sofa. Unfortunately i take off for Europe in a couple of days, otherwise, I'd be there.

You guys have convinced me to not do the SMB option. Even shop4seats has some certified benches for a fraction of the cost. However I think I will take it slow and try and find one. The big push is from the mrs to make it safe, so that's why i headed down that route.

2explore - your van is the major reason why i want the super camper! Finalizing what I want fiberline to do and then I am going to order it. I figure the two main points against them on this forum are the paint fading and it leaking. So it sounds that if I install it myself and have the whole van painted, I'll be a happy customer.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the sofa. Unfortunately i take off for Europe in a couple of days, otherwise, I'd be there.
If you are really leaning toward an SMB sofa, there may be a member or two in the Denver area that would be willing to snag that sofa for you.....paypal them the cash, and retrieve the sofa when you get back...

perhaps offer $100 extra for their trouble.....if this is of interest, post it in the classifieds sections here.

Worst case is nobody is interested.....same as where you are now.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote