Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #41
GAR

⬆️

Good to know! I would not mind doing it myself, but prefer metal fab jobs like bumpers and roll cages, not so sure I'd enjoy this DIY project. Ill let CCV handle this one. -Its almost a push price wise considering shipping costs!

Thanks again!

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #42

Hi! Did you reinforce the hole with any type of internal frame?
Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #43

Garage
which hole? the pop-top comes with a thick angle iron frame thats bolted through the roof frame/edge
ebflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #44
GAR

I’m perdy sure he means the hole you cut in the top of your van for then pop top.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #45
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes View Post
Hi! Did you reinforce the hole with any type of internal frame?
The hole is reinforce by the steel frame that holds the lift system.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #46

This might be a long shot since it’s been a few years since the last post on this thread but I wanted to see if you have any pictures or additional information on the frame/lift mechanism?

What I’m most interested in is what the pop top fame that mounts to the structure of the van roof is like. If it is just two rails, one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side or if it was a rectangular frame/picture frame. As wel as what the game was, if it was L shaped steel, channel or square tubing.

From some pictures I’ve seen into looks like an L shape steel on the drives side and one on the passenger side with steel cross tubes at the front and rear bolted to the L shaped steel allowing the tubes to rotate/spin in the pop top lifting and lowering process

Thanks for posting your diy install
Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #47
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco150 View Post
This might be a long shot since it’s been a few years since the last post on this thread but I wanted to see if you have any pictures or additional information on the frame/lift mechanism?

What I’m most interested in is what the pop top fame that mounts to the structure of the van roof is like. If it is just two rails, one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side or if it was a rectangular frame/picture frame. As wel as what the game was, if it was L shaped steel, channel or square tubing.

From some pictures I’ve seen into looks like an L shape steel on the drives side and one on the passenger side with steel cross tubes at the front and rear bolted to the L shaped steel allowing the tubes to rotate/spin in the pop top lifting and lowering process

Thanks for posting your diy install
They use unistrut for the upper rails. Lift mechanism is attached to 2” L angle steel at the cut out. Are you trying to make you own lift mechanism… pop top? If you have a CCV DIY kit this is all self explanatory and already assembled…
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #48

Wisco150 salvaged a fixed top shell which he wants to turn into a pop top. He is trying to figure out a lifting mechanism/ design.

At the end of the day, for all the effort, a DIY CCV top would be far more efficient especially if he drove down from WI to pick it up to save the freight costs. He would have a complete well designed, all the parts there, excellent canvas ready to install system/top that had top residual brand value upon resale.

But he would not have the satisfaction/ frustration / time spent figuring things out/ buying things he may not use/ doing things three or four times/ missed time actually enjoying outings and exploring. But I digress based on personal experience and advanced age (tomorrow being my birthday - yikes!).

I figured out some things are better procured and save me in the medium/long term so I can focus on those things I can do myself.

BUT - again there is a lot to be said for rising to the challenge!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:07 AM   #49

Hi MSD, like 1der mentioned I salvaged a fiberglass top and looking into making my own pop top and just like 1der said at the end of the day the CCV DIY kit is I’m confident my best option/way to go in the long run. I am a member of a makers space here in Wisconsin and have access to use a 4x8 cnc router, 2x2 water jet cutter, 4x4 cnc plasma cutter plus an extensive list of other tools and equipment so I’m working on a Westfalia hinge mechanism right now using CAD software and plan to cut it out on the cnc router out of plywood and if the pair of mock up hinges seems to move/function together I’ll move forward.

Happy Birthday 1der
Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #50

Wisco have you checked out Wanderer’s Yolanda thread? He built a custom top and lift mechanism from scratch. https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...top-20819.html
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote