Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #51

I haven’t seen Wanderers Yolanda build of a custom top and lift mechanism. Thank you! I really appreciate it and I will read through his posts!

Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #52

Garage
Will ccv send you a diy kit without a top?

3 friends and myself did our diy ccv top in 4 hours (not including the canvas). You won’t need any of the fancy tooling you have access to in order to make the ccv mechanism work whatever top you ended up with. All you’ll need to do is figure out how to affix the ccv setup to whatever top you ended up with. Ours is attached by sandwiching a perfectly cut 2x4 between the unistrut and the fiberine 16” top with 6 lag bolts (3 per side) and then just washers and nuts. Our install is still unfinished. If pix would help just lmk.

If you post a pic of the top, I might even be able to provide some insight as to how they did my setup if by chance you have the same top.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #53

Hi Shenrie,
I contacted CCV last week asking if buying the lift mechanism, canvas and associated parts were available for purchase and I’m just waiting to hear back.

That’s awesome you were able to install so quickly. Did you already have you fiberglass top and then purchase the rest of the kit or was a fiberline top a CCV option?

If you have any pictures available of the mount to the fiberglass top, and/or any of the frame and lift mechanism that would be greatly appreciated.

I attached a picture of the fiberglass top I have sitting on top of the metal roof I cut off from the junk yard. My plan would be to use the metal roof from the junk yard as my mock up roof, dry fit everything and make sure it all functions before drilling or cutting any holes in our van roof.
Attached Thumbnails
343F6EC1-3E21-4C96-BE2D-06D97FA8594E.jpg  
Old 09-16-2021, 06:16 PM   #54

Garage
^^^ I have a very similarly shaped top, so I should be able to provide you with all the instruction you need. I need to go pop the top for some measurements so I’ll post back up here shortly With some photos. If you have specific things you want pix of, just post up. I’ll help however I can.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 09-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #55

Shenrie that would be amazing I really appreciate it. I will put together a list of a few measurements and questions and send them to you. Again, thank you.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #56

Garage
Dr side front. You can see where the carriage bolt in the unistrut.

Looking back from front. You can see where the 2x4 is contour matched to the top.

From passenger side. Just another angle showing the sammich.

Pic of dr side lift. Loosen the 3 bolts attaching it to the unistrut to adjust range of motion.

Dr side looking forward.

Pic of our top. It’s different but similar enough you should be able to model after it.

Feel free to ask for whatever you need. I’ll do my best to accommodate.

Oh, and I got my top as part of the kit. Iirc, I got the last fiberine setup offered. He was just getting his own 24” top done but my heart wanted the older setup so I decided to go with the fiberine top. There’s more pix in my build thread with a little more details on the steps we took. Post #105 in this link . Lotta pix that have stopped working, but there’s still enough to fill in some context.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:07 AM   #57

Theses pictures are perfect. Thank you! That was one of the challenges I was trying to figure out was how to mate a straight piece of metal like unistrut to the curved fiberglass top. Also thank you for the link to your build I plan on reading through it this weekend. I’m off work Sunday and plan to do some more work on our mock up roof/top so I’m sure I will have questions along the way.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #58

Garage
^^^ right on, glad they are useful. If I can help further, just post up or pm me.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #59

Anyone up to date on the install vs diy cost spread?
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #60

Just put a deposit on a high top ext model. $15,152
I added the extra insulation option around $1,330
To cut the top back past the side door opening $927
Sales tax $573

Total $ 16,991
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote