Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #1

Garage
Colorado Camper Van High Top INSTALL DIY

Hello All!

Getting my DIY install wrapped up and thought I would share my process of installing a Colorado Camper Van's HI top Pop Top in my 2003 Ford e350. First off I would like to say, I feel this is hands down the best available electric pop-top system on the market as of now. The parts are quality and function is great. I personally would recommend anyone interested in them to check them out. I have had nothing but great communication and help with my install from both Matt and Derek, and it fits GREAT!

A couple reasons I chose DIY and the CCV Hi-Top
-time constraints of getting the top installed in the CCV shop. (I'am in Washington and getting the van to Colorado and having down time is hard to do)
-piece of mind knowing how it was installed
-ability to modify and control fitment
-im bored and needed something to do(see my other installs Sportsmobile Forum - ebflow's Albums)
-Wanted the additional SQft and storage when down(Hi-Top)
-Lots of head room when up (8ft from van floor to top)
-TWO stories!

I come from a VW history, my first rig was a 1971 VW Vanagon Riviera Pop top. I loved it. Archaic in design, but functional.....well almost lol left me stranded many a times and fumbling with the pop-top/mechanism and hoping it stayed up during your nights sleep was a nightmare...literally lol. But anyway ANY pop-top conversion can "top" a VW's pop-top setup. Pun intended And i very happy with my choice of the CCV high top.

Not going to go super in depth, but always open in answering questions and posting my solutions to them. Its was a very straight forward install, after I wrapped my head around it. Having all the parts in front of you really helps. I will try to cover as many critical install points (with pictures) as I can. Thanks for watching, and hope this helps anyone interested in a CCV top.

ebflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

I know you just started this thread, but I couldn't resist

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Garage
Can Open

First you start with 1 perfectly good e350 with a solid roof.

Then you get your Air Nibblers(or desired cutting tool, in this case multiple) out and "Can Open" the top off that beast. I Cut a VERY ROUGH opening FIRST, then place the frame ontop, square it up and trace the outline. Then proceed to final cut outline.

The Lift mechanism frame rests/bolts onto this lip

Rear Cut from the brake light, +- 5" i had to cut maybe 1/4" more to clear the rear of the lift mechanism

Above pic is the front cross member right behind the Cab. You pretty much cut right along the cross member that goes along the top
Old 11-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

Garage
@artictraveller Patience is a Virtue my friend!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #5

Garage

Here is the Top. (I know all of you are drooling over my custom headliner job in the corner there, don't worry I'll be putting parts of it back in!)

I decided to sand and repaint with Raptor Liner. I am really stoked on how it turned out. I diluted the Raptor liner by 20%(Using Pure Urethane Reducer, Raptor Liner specs) to thin is out to use a spray gun and get a slightly smoother surface. Worked Great

Old 11-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebflow View Post
@artictraveller Patience is a Virtue my friend!
Yea, but I'm stuck in a remote Alaskan camp all alone with little to do all weekend except dream up projects for my van. Thanks for providing some entertainment
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Looking great! What did you use to dilute the raptor liner?
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Garage
Frame

I positioned the Frame on top first to trace the outline before cutting. After cut you can set the frame into place. I decided not to use wood framing inbetween the frame and mounting area. I went with a large Rubber Seal (Home depot Garage door seal) under the whole perimeter of the frame. That way when bolted down it creates a seal/gasket and some cushion for the frame. I admit a little bit of a hack job on the corners, but I clean it up later.

Garage door Seal

Then proceed to drill/bolt the frame the lip it is resting on.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Yea, but I'm stuck in a remote Alaskan camp all alone with little to do all weekend except dream up projects for my van. Thanks for providing some entertainment
Glad I could help!
Old 11-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor3633 View Post
Looking great! What did you use to dilute the raptor liner?
Raptor Liner recommends a pure Urethane Reducer. I used a medium set time(depending on your temps while spraying)