Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 AM   #11

If I didn't live in NYC with it's clearance problems, I would have gotten a high top. I currently have a low.

Why?

Looks to me like you could squeeze in there with the top down. Boondocking without a big show. Some one looks in the van? Nobody home.

odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #12

I'm the owner of the van 1der helped convert. He and I had a lot of discussions about which top to select based on his experiences and my wants and needs. I ended up going with the high top. Yes, it's fugly. There is no other way to describe it, ha, ha. After a couple of months it has grown on me. After you add bumpers, boxes, awnings, etc. it balances off the bulky top. By the way, I lost no mpg with the top.
My biggest consideration was storage space and the CCV high top has it in spades. Storage above the drivers seat is huge, I have space for bedding and a lot more in the main area. Even at 6' 3" I can (mostly) stand up even when the top is down. With the top up I have about 8' + of headroom. I'm happy with the fit, finish, and functionality and I would still choose the CCV high top. I do not have a roof rack but I am thinking of putting some unistrut up there for solar in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0368.jpg  
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehead View Post
I'm the owner of the van 1der helped convert
WOw! 1der's old van never looked so good!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
... I think it's 14" and probably just about right between CCV 's newer low and high tops.
spot on! 14" in the high spot, 12" in the low. its a fiberine top that is still available. gives us an 8' ceiling inside with top up. 4' of space above mattress.

i contemplated the high top as he had just got the molds done, but had fallen in love with buckkillers van who had this same top installed just before me and I was still lusting for it when I came into the cash for a purchase. just couldn't do the bulkiness of the hightop. I have to admit though, on refs (iirc) van color matched green, it grew on me a lot. I think the darker colors hide the shape of it better. still looks funky to me on a white van though. please don't take offence to those with that setup im sure id get used to it when I experienced the amount of space inside...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #15

I'm at home this am, so took a couple pictures and measurements..

CCV mid-rise:
*61" floor to ceiling when closed
*a lot more tall than you when opened
*7.5" clearance on bed side
*about the same over the cab, but the structure narrows access when the top is closed

Old 01-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #16

Garage
Dang. Apparently, Aluminess will not build a rack for a CCV top.

From Aluminess:
Quote:
After asking our engineer we do not make any roof racks for the colorado camper. The colorado camper does not have good spots to mount down the roof rack. Sadly I'm sorry to say but I do not think we can make a rack for that style of top.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #17

I'm guessing they are just not familiar and/or not enough volume to justify developing one.

CCV has much better mounting points than SMB: Approx 12' steel unistrut running up and down both sides, as opposed to SMB where the the racks are mounted directly to the fiberglass top.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #18

Garage
wanderlust, racks are not rocket science whatsoever. if you cant find a fabshop there in slc that will build you one, I have a shop here that will make you whatever you want. were only 4-5 hours from you.

last rack these guys made when I was still working for them was badass. it was 2 guys that built a suburban to travel to the tip of south America. typical rack from windshield back, but had a section that slid forward to front bumper and had supports to make it a sturdy area to setup their tent. ladder in back, 2 spare tire mounts, etc. it was a slick setup. those two guys drive it down there, then sold it for airfare to fly back to home when they were done. they checked back in with us after they got back and said everything worked flawlessly.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #19
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Colorado Camper Van pop top question

I had Derek build an aluminum rack with sides and expanded metal flooring over cross members. I am able to walk around up there as well as house the solar panel. The mounting is much more stout than an Aluminess on a SMB top. Mine is bolted through the top into the metal track used by the lift, which in turn carries the load over a stronger, larger area. At first I was not too keen on the high top after only seeing it on a white van, but changed my mind after considering the storage potential and the extra head room when the top is down, plus at the time the mid top was not available and he was phasing out the low top, we're still happy with our choice and would do it again.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #20

Beautiful!