Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #1

Garage
Colorado Camper Van pop top question

So we decided to get a CCV top installed this fall. But, I need help deciding on the mid or high top. I'm leaning toward the mid top. It's easy to find pictures of the outside, but finding pictures of the inside when it's collapsed is just about impossible.

I like the extra storage space of the high top on the inside, but I think it looks a bit funny on the outside when it's collapsed. Also, I'm not sure I would like the overall height of the van with the high top.

Do you have a CCV top? Which one? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Would you choose an SMB top instead, or are there other options out there?

Also, do you have the roof rack from CCV installed? We were considering an aluminess rack but CCV rack is much cheaper. I can't find any info abour ccv racks though. I'm waiting to hear back from CCV with information about their roof rack.

It would be great to find someone local who has a CCV top that I could check out.

Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

After going through the same dilemma, I wound up with the mid-height top.
I definitely wish I had gotten the high top. I'm trying to fit a family of four and all of our gear in a RB van with minimal (read: none) built in storage, as we're also using it as a daily driver and occasional people hauler. On camping trips I really wish we had that extra storage space.

The mid-height top has some storage space(as opposed to SMB tops)- basically enough for all of our bedding (2 beds) including pillows.

As for aesthetics, I too was worried about the high top looking janky, but I think I would have gotten used to it. I would have gotten especially used to it as I threw a couple of duffle bags and guitars up there. Honestly, the mid-height top looks a little funky too. You just get used to it.

Now if I had an EB van, a lot more built in storage, or fewer people, I might not miss that space.

I don't think I have any pictures of the inside with the top down, but with the bed panels and cushions in place there's maybe 4 inches of space. Bedding works well because it's compressible.

When you get closer to your install, feel free to PM me for advice on having the best CCV experience.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #3

Good choice!

My top install here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-12110-15.html

Mid top allows for bedding and small duffel bags up top while closed. That's all I wanted, and didn't want the height of the tall one for everyday driving and offroading.

CCV top is much superior to SMB top, quality control is about the same - which is to say a little lacking on both. Biggest differences are the sturdiness of CCV vs SMB, and the size: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post158595

Pretty sure CCV racks are steel, so they'll be heavier than Aluminess. But I could be wrong, I didn't want rack and never looked into them.

Talk to Ray (1der). He's about to take off for an extended van ski trip which includes Snowbird.. he has medium height, you should meet up with him and check his top out.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Garage
Ccv doesn't offer the top I have anymore, but the reason I sought a ccv top was the space above front 2 seats, insulated canvas, and the huge windows. I've never owned a smb top but those things are why I gravitated to the ccv setup.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #5

Yep, was just thinking if we could connect in Sandy, that would be a great opportunity for you to see a CCV Med top. PM me if you like, we will be Tues to Friday next week.

re: Med vs High - Function first = High Top. Incredible amount of room for storage and added head room when the top is down. Head room is the same when the top is up.

On this install done end of August for a friend of mine, the fit and finish was really nice.

Pics of High Top:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5764.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	14733

Name:	IMG_5765.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	14734

Name:	IMG_5762.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	14735

Name:	IMG_5720.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	14736

Name:	IMG_5729.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	14737
Old 01-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #6

After seeing them both in person, and also was inclined to the Mid, I think I would go with the High instead, I do not think you are going to sacrifice that much on MPG and the outside height is negligible so what you gain on the inside is what I find to have the most value. Just my two pennies!! My thinking about it the whole thing is that the best low profile option would be the full lift GTRV top, then you would have the ultimate low pro pop top
Jb1rd1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #7

Can you post some pics of you RB with the mid top? I feel like everyone that has gotten one installed has an EB. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg View Post
After going through the same dilemma, I wound up with the mid-height top.
I definitely wish I had gotten the high top. I'm trying to fit a family of four and all of our gear in a RB van with minimal (read: none) built in storage, as we're also using it as a daily driver and occasional people hauler. On camping trips I really wish we had that extra storage space.

The mid-height top has some storage space(as opposed to SMB tops)- basically enough for all of our bedding (2 beds) including pillows.

As for aesthetics, I too was worried about the high top looking janky, but I think I would have gotten used to it. I would have gotten especially used to it as I threw a couple of duffle bags and guitars up there. Honestly, the mid-height top looks a little funky too. You just get used to it.

Now if I had an EB van, a lot more built in storage, or fewer people, I might not miss that space.

I don't think I have any pictures of the inside with the top down, but with the bed panels and cushions in place there's maybe 4 inches of space. Bedding works well because it's compressible.

When you get closer to your install, feel free to PM me for advice on having the best CCV experience.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #8

I don't have any pics with the top down. I'll try to get some and post them, but it may take a few days.

Here's a couple with the top up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3390.jpg   IMG_3721.jpg  
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

My top is an older design about 2013. Not sure it it a high or low top.

The storage over the front seats is great. It is used for jackets and spare blankets. The storage in the rear is used for the bedding. Having room to sit up straight when sleeping up top is a big plus. Much better than the SMB top. Having a wider bed up top is also a big plus.

There is a Thule track and one set of bars on the back half of the roof. They are just reachable from the step bumper. I think the one of the track screws is leaking. That is a project for later in the spring.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #10

It's the same as Shenrie's, commonly called a sport top or TV top due to the bump in the top middle where a tv was mounted in the old custom van days when this style became popular. I think it's 14" and probably just about right between CCV 's newer low and high tops.

Man do I miss all that storage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote