Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Cool New Attachment Fittings

Found this searching for ways to butt-join flat panels, thought they might be useful or interesting to we DIY's. They're called Striplox, here's a decent video showing their offerings---worth the watch IMHO:

I like that they're fairly cheap, very well made and using them in their designed application could make projects a lot less troubling or "better" in assembling enclosures etc we might need to remove from time-to-time.

They're easily installed without any special tools. I'm using several in a project that one day might have to be taken apart---if that day ever comes these fitting will make that pretty easy.

So far this is the only forum I've posted this--if anyone thinks it would be useful in another please let me know---glad to share it.

JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #2

That is slick. Wish I had know about them when I was building my drawers. Would have made the construction of them ymuch easier.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Oh the things you can do with a 3d printer. Pretty slick.

What he doesn't mention is that you pretty much have to have a CNC table to groove and cut wood panels that precisely. Or you could do it with a router if you have the steady hands of a spinal surgeon.

Still, pretty cool.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Oh the things you can do with a 3d printer. Pretty slick.

What he doesn't mention is that you pretty much have to have a CNC table to groove and cut wood panels that precisely. Or you could do it with a router if you have the steady hands of a spinal surgeon.

Still, pretty cool.
Actually these parts are very well known and quite successful in their native Australia---they're only recently becoming better known and used here. They're very high quality, not at all a 3D benchtop printer---cast from a good quality resin from my hands-on experience so far.

And yes machining any material that's to be mated or assembled requires very careful set up. I'm constantly frustrated with my own poor results working with primitive tools (in the high precision locating and machining aspect) so bits and pieces like Striplox give me acceptable results I can live with. Someone a bit more dedicated to high precision and better tools could achieve results like shown in the demo video without too much trouble.

FWIW if you have a local Woodcraft store they're very cheap there---a pair of the 90D-98's sell for $9.99 in-store---online they tend to run about $15 for the same parts with "free shipping"

Worth a look..............
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #5

These are really cool! I wonder what the shear strength is though. Like if they were used to build cabinets in a can would they hold up in an accident and keep the cabinets together, etc.?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
These are really cool! I wonder what the shear strength is though. Like if they were used to build cabinets in a can would they hold up in an accident and keep the cabinets together, etc.?
Good question---all the videos about StripLox state over and over their ultimate strength depends on at least two factors: Material into which they're installed and length of the screws. I would guess the fasteners would withstand crash forces assuming they were "properly" installed. I do think the StripLox themselves would survive a lot of different type crashes.

My use would have them permanently installed however I believe their design is to allow quick assembly and disassembly should that ever be necessary. Think of trade show exhibits where displays are set up and knocked down repeatedly--this is where these would shine.

Material-wise void-free Baltic birch plywood or particle board would be ideal relating to the best installation. BB is costly, particle board very dense and heavy per sq/ft used which would be considerations.

One downside I see is the 90 degree fittings in an enclosed cabinet construction is they occupy space possibly ever so slightly reduce usable volume. Smart design where possible would place these outside the inner volume yet retain their quick disassemble function.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

I don't suppose that they would have any less strength the L brackets that sportsmobile uses. The same problem exist strength of material and screw length.

I have always had a love-hate relationship with the sportsmobile L brackets. The hobbyist woodworker in me looks at them with disdain, until you need to pull a cabinet out partially to work on something. These would certainly fill the gap between the two.

A good router table, or some home built jigs would allow any of the recessing to be done quite easily. Gee, maybe i can pull my old biscuit joiner out.

Thanks for sharing JWA.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I don't suppose that they would have any less strength the L brackets that sportsmobile uses. The same problem exist strength of material and screw length.

I have always had a love-hate relationship with the sportsmobile L brackets. The hobbyist woodworker in me looks at them with disdain, until you need to pull a cabinet out partially to work on something. These would certainly fill the gap between the two.

A good router table, or some home built jigs would allow any of the recessing to be done quite easily. Gee, maybe i can pull my old biscuit joiner out.

Thanks for sharing JWA.

-greg
More excellent points Greg!

Certainly when any of us are building things in place the thought has to cross our minds: "What kind of BS am I facing when this has to come out?" No matter how carefully or good we install something behind a cabinet or finish panel chances are at some point it'll have to come back out to service the hidden things.

Speaking of good locating devices and biscuit joints----StripLox has those covered too--have a look at this website page(s): Striplox™- Simple, Strong, Secure - view our full range - Joinlox There you'll find a nice selection of installation aids and additional products.

I've seen a few temporary shower enclosures and one or two barn door mounted campsite thingys that are deployed only when needed, stowed away when not. Perhaps some of these could work in those situations too? Again back to the trade show displays set up and knocked down repeatedly.

Don't forget these things could find use around the house too---endless possibilities for the creative mind.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm surprised those L-brackets suffice for safety. But I guess if you use as many of them as SMB does, well, then... :-)

I was thinking the flush-mount ones could be cool for removable cabinets. In my EB SMB I have two roof-high cabinets on each side at the back of the van. These are great for long trips, as we easily fit all the clothes and gear we need for three people. But it would be nice to be able to remove them for shorter trips to make a garage space for our bikes, or a portable toilet, etc. Hmmm...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
. But it would be nice to be able to remove them for shorter trips to make a garage space for our bikes, or a portable toilet, etc. Hmmm...
That sort of use was what I had in mind for SMB owners when I posted these here---unitized cabinets etc that would be made more useful if their removal could be easier, simply pop on & pop off as need dictates.

For those doing a new build or others who're refitting an existing van could incorporate them into whatever cabin additions are planned.