Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #121

Re: Dawn Patrol Build

How much weight can your sink cabinet support? Would be awesome to put a fridge on a slide out in there.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #122

I tried to locate the heater controller so it's accessible from the bed.........it's a bit of a stretch, but worth it on a cold morning.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #123

I don't have much of an update. Everything is ready for power so I have a lot of wiring to do. I'm not sure how many progress pics I'll get of wiring, it's kinda boring.

I put the "outside kitchen" together.

Hooked up the solar panels to the charge controller. The lights and solar panel wires all go through the roof rack to the back corner, down through the ladder, and up underneath where the battery wires come through. I was trying to put as few holes in the van as possible.

Had my old friend/co-worker help me out.

Then the skeeters came out and it got dark so I'll update again when I get some more work done.
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #124

I finally figured out what I'm going to do with all the electrical. I'm going to run all the switches to one spot and all the auxiliary stuff to one spot; and connect it through a screw terminal. It will make everything easier to daisy chain or move or install, etc. The 4' countertop makes an amazing workbench. With the little stools I'm able to sit at the perfect height. I think I just discovered my desk.

Here's the first switch panel wired up.

And the back where the fuse boxes and the screw terminals are going to be. I'll also have the relays up there too. :emo:

I did do one adjustment... The front door for the sink cabinet kept falling down. I originally used a thing like this.

and just switched to velcro. I'm finding that I end up using velcro on everything. I think I learned just to start out with that now. I've learned that velcro is god in a camper van....

Old 11-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #125

You can never have enough fuse blocks......looking good. If you have any higher amperage 12V stuff be mindful of wire gauge.......If I was doing it again I'd bump a few of my wire sizes up a little....I somewhat already have.....

I used a lot of 12 AWG wires since I had a spool; wouldn't hurt to use 10 AWG or larger a few places.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 11-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #126

the majority of those wires are just going to the switches. The switches are just going to the relays so it doesn't need much. There's not really anything that's too crazy: fan, led bars, motion lights, 7" monitor, DVR... But yeah I'm going for overkill while I have it all torn apart. I'd hate to have to run something once it's all put together. My big thing was just to get everything to one central location to make it easier to maintain and change.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #127

Just been doing a bunch of wiring and planning out some other stuff. It's been kind of slow since I went to the football game. I have a wedding to go to this weekend with a bunch of family coming in; so this weekend is going to be busy too.

Put the terminal blocks in and connected a few things. Fridge, DVR, 7" monitor, microwave and inverter all work now.

Connected the other switch panel

looming going around the corner.

Battery separator in. I need to go get some more cable to connect it to the start batteries.

Put the compressor in too. I strolled around harbor freight and found some standing pads for cheap. I thought they would work perfect to reduce the vibration of the compressor.

2 Gallon Tank mounted by the fuel tank. One quick disconnect is under the drivers side front bumper, the other is in the back drivers side. I'll get better pics tomorrow during the day.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #128

K didn't get much done today, it's been raining all day. Here's some day shots of how I ran the air hoses.

The rear is on a swivel right on the little piece that's a crease behind the bumper.

The front is easily accessible under the front bumper.

I know the wiring is completely overkill; that's what happens when a comm guy has to do an electrical job. I over engineered the **** out of it and almost regret it. However I made it so it's so completely easy to add new stuff or switch an accessory to a different switch. All you'll have to do is move the accessory on the terminal block.

Relays

Premade some wires to go from the fuse blocks to the relays and the relay to the terminal block. Just waiting for the rain to stop. I'm playing golf with my dad, uncle, and cousin tomorrow and the SECCG is on saturday so I'm not sure how much I'll get done this weekend.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #129

That's a nice set of relays!......I have one of those relays in my van...to power the electric water heater.
2003 Honda Element
Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #130

I got some more electrical stuff done today. The awning is working great as rain cover.v

Looking at it now, it's so much overkill. But anything worth doing is worth over doing. I just hope the next owner appreciates how easy I made it for them in the future.